What's new
What's new

Cincinnati No.3S. 1919 & 1922 universal weight

farmalMV

Plastic
I recently purchased two No.3S Cincinnati horizontal mills. Each has a 5 digit serial number stamped just above the arbor hole.
One is E390H(has a universal table)and the Other(has the vertical head) B243T. It seems these two machine are from 1922 and 1919 per the answers to an earlier post. My question is what do they weigh? They have the dove tail overarm, but are prior to the dial machines.

1923 catalog says 5250-6450 on the Universal and 4900- 5800 on the plain

Differing weights have to do with net and gross and driving arrangement

Universal weights always included dividing head and its set of gears

These were known as High Power mills and Cinc was still making cone head (flat belt driven spindle ) mills

By this time, all the gear head horizontals had cast over arms instead of round bar

Spindle taper on both these will be B&S 14. It would be several more years before the NMTB 50 spindle taper came out

Cinci NO.3S B7S #14 taper

1923 catalog says 5250-6450 on the Universal and 4900- 5800 on the plain

Differing weights have to do with net and gross and driving arrangement

Universal weights always included dividing head and its set of gears

These were known as High Power mills and Cinc was still making cone head (flat belt driven spindle ) mills

By this time, all the gear head horizontals had cast over arms instead of round bar

Spindle taper on both these will be B&S 14. It would be several more years before the NMTB 50 spindle taper came out

Speaking of #14 B&S taper. Do you know if it is possible to adapt or convert it to something more common. Or should I practice using the taper attachment on my lathe?

Probably check them out first - see if some handy person revised them already to NMTB 50. Fairly easy to tell - big end of 14 is about 2.34" while NMTB 50 is 2.75. 14 tooling - once plentiful, now unobtanium unless made new

I converted two of them - by having the spindles out and in the lathe with a T/A. You don't get a full taper length unless you fit an insert in the back. Need a really good steady rest that will run on that 5.063 dia. spindle flange. Spindles are tough but not "hard"

Speaking of other issues - bear in mind these are plain (Bronze or Babbitt) bearing machines - both spindle bearings and gear box shaft bearings -- no ball or roller bearings in the column. Top end speed is about 350

Lube system for column is a pump up to reservoir under over arm where it runs down tubes to selected points

Scans from 1923

20200930_085343.jpg20200930_085409.jpg20200930_160539.jpg

Back