What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Plain Auto Milling Machine - stopped working - wont' change gear? help pls

sacha

Plastic
Hi all,
Our 1952 milling machine has stopped working, and I haven't got the manual for this. It's available at the link below, which I'm happy to purchase, but really can't wait for it to be sent all the way to NZ... so I'm asking you clever brains for any help you might be able to give me please?
Error Page | eBay ... 489de2fd28

The mill was working, when it stopped mid cycle.
Its a continuous cycle on the table, rapid in, with a slow machining feed for approx 2 inches, then rapids out again.

However the problem is, it now doesn't engage in slow feed.. it rapids in and out ok,

The job is gang milled, continuous cycling Aluminium hinges.

So we are looking for information on how to trouble shoot the gear change.

If anyone has any information on this, it'd be most gratefully received.

Warmest Regards,
Sacha

Thanks John, will see if we can work through this - I have to assume some parts will be similar! Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers
Sacha

Fairly sure the change gears shown are strictly related to spindle speed. On some of these, all else is hydraulic actuated by setting of table dogs as pointed out in your other thread. If it is hydraulic AND dogs are where they belong, one has to assume it is not behaving due to one or more hydraulic system related components. Good luck on all that.

I see in the link I sent the Table Movements (Page 17) are CAM operated

Sacha,Sir/Mam
I worked around one of those 40+ years ago... If my swiss cheese memory serves.. I seem to remember that stopping mid cycle was bad.. You had to manually return the machine to start/stop ( I can't remember which) position with the hydraulic system in stop/start mode ( I also can't remember which. There was a dial you had to set to this in the hydraulic system somewhere if memory serves..It seems the machine would loose it's timing/place if stopped mid cycle.. I remember this happening to the operator of said machine during a power outage ( during hot weather) and him griping about having to reset the machine and him going into great detail in the break room about it. ( really he was just bitching abour having to do some work other than just loading parts and watching his machine run from his stool perch) Funny how things from the past can sometimes be so vivid.. ( pardon me whilst I geez)
Hope this can be of some help to you and your operators. I don't think you have machine/part failure Just a need to reset the machine.
Stay safe
Calvin B

Plus One for that - written down in above linked manual

Sacha,Sir/Mam
I worked around one of those 40+ years ago... If my swiss cheese memory serves.. I seem to remember that stopping mid cycle was bad.. You had to manually return the machine to start/stop ( I can't remember which) position with the hydraulic system in stop/start mode ( I also can't remember which. There was a dial you had to set to this in the hydraulic system somewhere if memory serves..It seems the machine would loose it's timing/place if stopped mid cycle.. I remember this happening to the operator of said machine during a power outage ( during hot weather) and him griping about having to reset the machine and him going into great detail in the break room about it. ( really he was just bitching abour having to do some work other than just loading parts and watching his machine run from his stool perch) Funny how things from the past can sometimes be so vivid.. ( pardon me whilst I geez)
Hope this can be of some help to you and your operators. I don't think you have machine/part failure Just a need to reset the machine.
Stay safe
Calvin B

Back