What's new
What's new

Cincinnati serial number help please No 3 Horizontal

GrantA

Aluminum
Also is the mdna site the only source to buy the serial reference book? I didn't see any in ebay

I'm interested in a No3 Horizontal that has been neglected, serial is 2J3P1Y-6
Could someone please enlighten me with any info available from that?

Thanks!!
Grant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2J is more or lesss model or series type

3 is size

P is plain, not universal (which would have swiveling table and be sold with dividing head and its drive system)

1Y is 1951

6 is number built so far in 1951

Thanks John! I figured you'd be by soon, what spindle should it have? Here's a pic, it's pretty badly rusted. If I can get it I think I'll have to tear it down and do the works.

I think it would be a great companion for my No4 vertical though! I'm kinda hoping it might share a 50taper with the 4

354eaed5647df98983607c099c854f2c.jpg

It will be NMTB 50 - which can be confirmed by its 5.0625" spindle nose flange diameter ( a NMTB 40 is only 3.625")

The rust will EASILY push off the cast iron with a semi dull way scraper - similar to the thumbnail

Second thumbnail the whole bed after suitable amounts of effort

Attachments

• DCP_1289.jpg
    DCP_1289.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DCP_1317.jpg
    DCP_1317.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 49
Thanks again John! The knee motor is on newer models right? So I suppose this would be an early 2J if the 2J publication shows a knee motor and this one doesn't have it.
I've got to work on the owner to see about getting it, hopefully I can work something out! If not it won't be for lack of trying!

Next time near - see if it looks like something is missing on that side of knee. Good reason for its "disuse" if knee motor was off for problems and not resolved. Lack of pubs showing # 3 with no knee motor leaves us wondering

Thanks again John! The knee motor is on newer models right? So I suppose this would be an early 2J if the 2J publication shows a knee motor and this one doesn't have it.
I've got to work on the owner to see about getting it, hopefully I can work something out! If not it won't be for lack of trying!

I couldn't stand it, had to go ahead and check.
Doesn't look like anything is missing from that area
3a29951f8868fd3cd884931e347389f7.jpg

f56ae7d8dbca03f96ce91a5da4c69040.jpg

3bd880b84085f52c0336ac8fef8a6669.jpg

Be aware of its amazing complexity. A slow cruise thru the 162 pdf ages above will show you all the systems - like hydraulic and lubrication - that all have to work perfectly. A slightly older no knee motor version will only be a tad simpler

The 162 pages has several SAFETY pages added as of October 1983 ( the reason for 162 pdf pages instead of the 155 pages of the manual), but otherwise we have no clue of its date, or the date of the older sales brochure on the no knee motor #2 machine - except to say that one predates both zip codes and area codes

We had a #5 that was called a Duel Power and I saw one called a Hi Power.Ours was a '55.Maybe the difference was the separate knee motor? Ours had a separate knee motor.

One thing I was curious about was ours had the same table specs as a #6;if I remember 108" table with 60" travel,50Hp.
The book showed the #6 only a few hundred lb.s heavier so I wondered what was the difference? If there is no significant difference why make 2 models?

Back