What's new
What's new

Kearney Trecker 315TF tramming?

Hydrol

Plastic
I have an old KT in my shop with the above model.

After going through all the manuals and checking forums all over I can't seem to find anywhere that specifies HOW to tram this machine.

We use it as a dedicated facemilling machine with a 6.3" cutter so having even an RCH of misalignment is substantial to us.

We've made do over time but we're looking at moving up to a 10" cutter to face things in a single pass which makes the head being out of tram a bigger issue.

Any help is appreciated especially if I can be pointed to any greybeards that would know one of these things inside and out.

My apologies for my ignorance, but I think that the model designation as stated applies to both horizontal and vertical machines.
Anyhow, I believe that, for both machines the tramming is done by scraping to alignment the various members, no real adjustments.

Paolo

It's a vertical machine, whoops.

Do you mean by the support members on the knee? I thought about that, I'll have to get under there and look closer for independent adjustments.

I have an old KT in my shop with the above model.

After going through all the manuals and checking forums all over I can't seem to find anywhere that specifies HOW to tram this machine.

We use it as a dedicated facemilling machine with a 6.3" cutter so having even an RCH of misalignment is substantial to us.

We've made do over time but we're looking at moving up to a 10" cutter to face things in a single pass which makes the head being out of tram a bigger issue.

Any help is appreciated especially if I can be pointed to any greybeards that would know one of these things inside and out.

adjust if you can but many machines if you want a more flatter and accurate surface you use smaller dia mills and multiple overlapping passes. its just the way it is, that is having reasonable expectations on what a machine can do

See now *I* know that, but what the boss says goes.

So a 10 incher for us it is.

Hence my dilemma

I doubt your mill is out of tram enough to affect the flatness of the part. For facing, I actually prefer a mill with enough tilt so the back of the cutter doesn't drag. Just set up the mill so the heavy side engages the part first, and the trailing edge is clear. If you don't like the direction the chips fly buy a reverse rotation face mill.

Back