What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Spiropoint drill bit sharpener

henriexx9

Plastic
I recently acquired a Cincinnati Spiropoint model LM series 500 drill bit sharpener. Does anyone know where parts may be purchased (new or used) or drawings for the machine? It is missing the vise and jaws. I believe I can fabricate the vise and jaws but would rather purchase them if available. I have found a manual on the web for the machine but it does not include the parts manual. I also found a manual on the web for a later model but the parts are not the same. I have only the 5/16 to 1/2 truing cam so I am also looking for the other truing cams. Does anyone know where grinding wheels for this machine can be acquired?

I have a fairly complete Spiropoint grinder mine does up to 3/4". It is a VERY complicated unit inside. You could contact Cincinnati for parts(currently under the name of Fives) but I doubt you would want to pay for them. I would imagine $5000 to $10000 for vise and jaw assemblies. It takes 3 sets of jaws to get from 1/4 to 3/4". I could not find any availability on the wheels but Norton said they can custom make them. Also big $$$$ I am sure.

I have two of these. Both are #60 - 1" 1000 models. One is a 1959 if I want to trust the wiring diagram that was inside the unit, the other is later with the light blue handle ends.

They both run but I have never had the chance to get them all cleaned up and start using them. I thought I had once found some grinding wheels that would work, kind of skateboard wheel looking but it's been years so I might be wrong.

I know I have a operations manual but don't recall there being a separate parts manual. I'm a bit hazy. I pushed them behind my CNC mill and kind of forgot about them I have been so busy. If I get a chance I will dig through them and see what I have for manuals and stuff.

As far as the truing cams I am kind of drawing a blank. Do you mean the setting tool like this?

IMG_20150713_151258_472.jpg

I believe there is only one size. Without that you can't set up the machine, I actually bought my entire second machine for $200 just to get that tool as without it I was stuck. Always thought it was dumb to have something so important not built into the machine and so easy to lose. If I recall correctly you set the distance between that ground cast surface and the diamond with a feeler gauge with the rest of the tool clamped in the jaws and the dowel indexing it.

But again it's been a while so my memory of everything isn't what it was.

The two together with the newer one on the left, you can see the design change for the stand. Also the different color handle plastic.

IMG_20151018_170211_686.jpg

The wiring diagram I found in the older one.

As I said I will see if I can dig through the accessories and see if there is anything useful information wise I might have written down.

IMG_20160128_201602_588.jpg

EDIT: Just looked at my .pdf manuals and one is a SP-155 and is 21 pages and is only for operations. Also have a SP-155-4 that is 38 pages and everything from 22 on is a complete parts breakdown of the whole machine. I also have a printed copy but not sure what rev that is.

Thanks so much for the replies! I also found the a wiring diagram in the cabinet. My machine seems to be very early as the stone dressing attachment is different than most I have seen on the internet. I was able to find an operating manual that looks like my machine and is listed as a model LM series 500 and 750. The cabinet is the one with the rounded edges. I agree that it is a very complicated machine.I did run the machine and it seems to run ok. With so many parts missing it may just be a parts machine. I can make the vise and jaws,and my ask someone for dimensions if I get to that point. No one has replied that wheels can be found so that could be a serious issue. if anyone knows where there is a machine that is being parted out I would be interested. Again, thanks so much for the replies.

Thanks for your reply. I think my machine is earlier than both of yours as the one I have uses a different wheel dresser mechanism than the ones on your machines. This earlier dressing mechanism uses the truing cams. My machine only goes up to 1/2" drills. Any interest in selling one of yours? If so where are you located. and how much would you want for it?

Thanks again for your reply Brian. I had seen your interesting video on u-tube. Very well done!
It looks as though I will have to make several parts to get mine running. The first thing I will need to make is the vise.
I wonder if I could impose upon you take some measurements of the vise on your Spropoint sharpener. I have included a drawing with the dimensions I need. These can be easily acquired with a caliper and recorded on the drawing. I would appreciate if you could then email a photo or scan of the dimensions recorded on the drawing. My email address is [email protected]. Could you also measure the thickness of the vise jaws and note them on the drawing.
Have you been able to locate a supplier for the grinding wheels?

Have you ever tried sharpening a drill bit larger than the rated size of your machine? Mine is rated at 1/2" but I was wondering if I could some how use it to sharpen larger bits.
Thanks again for you help. If I am successful I will send you a video.request for dimension.jpg

Thanks again for your reply Brian. I had seen your interesting video on u-tube. Very well done!
It looks as though I will have to make several parts to get mine running. The first thing I will need to make is the vise.
I wonder if I could impose upon you take some measurements of the vise on your Spropoint sharpener. I have included a drawing with the dimensions I need. These can be easily acquired with a caliper and recorded on the drawing. I would appreciate if you could then email a photo or scan of the dimensions recorded on the drawing. My email address is [email protected]. Could you also measure the thickness of the vise jaws and note them on the drawing?
Have you been able to locate a supplier for the grinding wheels?

Have you ever tried sharpening a drill bit larger than the rated size of your machine? Mine is rated at 1/2" but I was wondering if I could somehow use it to sharpen larger bits.
Thanks again for your help. If I am successful, I will send you a video.
request for dimension.jpg

Back