What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Tray Top Compound Nut, Crossfeed Nut and Shaft

bottleworks

Plastic
Hi everyone.
Someone asked in the wanted ads for specs on the bronze nuts for a Cincinnati Tray Top lathe.
I just bought a 1955 Cincinnati Tray Top 12 1/2 x 36. It was abused and needs a lot of work. I had mine apart to spec out a replacement cross shaft, its nut and the compound's nut. My compound's shaft is still in good shape. Attached are the drawings I made based on what I had. It's entirely possible that some specs are slightly off. It's simply what I measured. I'm changing the crossfeed shaft to a 5/8-8 LH ACME, as the OEM 9/16-8 is a thing of the past. I should note that the rounded ends of the nuts are simply ground - you just need to make it look good and clear the surroundings. My crossfeed shaft drawing is for machines with a taper attachment. Non-taper attachment machines use a different shaft.

I hope this helps. And if anyone needs some nuts, I should be making some in the next month or so, depending on free time.

It looks like I can only attach 5 drawing at a time. I will try to post the remaining in an additional post. I also have this in a PDF, but it's 2.2MB, which is above the max allowed.

Attachments

• Cross Bushing Right.jpg
    Cross Bushing Right.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Cross Bushing Side.jpg
    Cross Bushing Side.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Cross Bushing Left.jpg
    Cross Bushing Left.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Compound Nut Short Side.jpg
    Compound Nut Short Side.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 29
  • Compound Nut Long Side.jpg
    Compound Nut Long Side.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Here is the drawing for the crossfeed shaft and my original compound & cross nuts. They're trashed, but might be useful for visual reference.

Attachments

• Cross shaft.jpg
    Cross shaft.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 44
  • OEM Compound Nut.jpg
    OEM Compound Nut.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 52
  • OEM Cross Nut.jpg
    OEM Cross Nut.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 58
Hi everyone.
Someo
ne asked in the wanted ads for specs on the bronze nuts for a Cincinnati Tray Top lathe.
I just bought a 1955 Cincinnati Tray Top 12 1/2 x 36. It was abused and needs a lot of work. I had mine apart to spec out a replacement cross shaft, its nut and the compound's nut. My compound's shaft is still in good shape. Attached are the drawings I made based on what I had. It's entirely possible that some specs are slightly off. It's simply what I measured. I'm changing the crossfeed shaft to a 5/8-8 LH ACME, as the OEM 9/16-8 is a thing of the past. I should note that the rounded ends of the nuts are simply ground - you just need to make it look good and clear the surroundings. My crossfeed shaft drawing is for machines with a taper attachment. Non-taper attachment machines use a different shaft.

I hope this helps. And if anyone needs some nuts, I should be making some in the next month or so, depending on free time.

It looks like I can only attach 5 drawing at a time. I will try to post the remaining in an additional post. I also have this in a PDF, but it's 2.2MB, which is above the max allowed.

I would be interested in buying a cross feed nut 5/8-8 and a compound nut 7/16-8 if you had a pair made up already. please let me know a price. thanks

Back