What's new
What's new

Cincy 315-16 questions

n4015c

Plastic
Hello all. I am looking for some knowledge of a Cincy 315-16. In the accompanying pictures is the machine in question, by the tag it says 315-16-DT serial # 4A3P5T-11 . In my internet searching I have come up with only references to a plain horizontal mill yet it has a vertical head. By the serial it was built in 1967 and my questions are has this machine been converted or is there a version of universal I have not been able to find, (which is the most likely scenario) and how much this weighs. It is missing the outboard arbor support and has no arbor. It is covered in LPS 3, has some light rust but no pitting I can see on the machine ways and I can get this for cheap.
It is in an estate sale that I bought a 17x80 Clausing Colchester lathe and 20" G&E shaper from, no one bid on this. Most likely it is due to size and the fact it is 440V 3 Phase. The estate is facing a large bill to remove this from the property if no one buys it. I have the power in my shop and the means and experience to move it so I am considering making them an offer on this. I know I am justifying here but damn, I hate to see this fine old machine go to the scrap heap! I already own a Toolmaster 1C that I just love and the ability to have a horizontal mill for some of my projects is sucking me in, that and the power and travel this has compared to my 1C.

I have spent many enjoyable hours reading the Heavy Iron forum and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here, it is always my go to internet source. Thanks for taking the time.

JPDSCN1769.jpgDSCN1760.jpgDSCN1765.jpg

It is a Plain No.3 horizontal. The Plain or Universal name has to do with whether the table can pivot from the middle. Used for doing tapers and bevel gears and such usually for dividing head work. That table has a fixed saddle so it's a Plain.

The optional overarm with a universal vertical head incorporated in it was a nice accessory to extend the machines abilities and basically double the machines usefulness. All without having to mount and dismount a heavy bolt on vertical head.

It appears to be a later model machine 60's+ with the hydraulic table feeds. So if in good condition a very nice machine.

The name 315-16 means a 3 (34" travel) 15 (horsepower) 16 is width of the table that corresponds to a specific length (62.5").

You will have to wait for the other guys with serial number books to fill you in on specific year and such. Hope this helps.

5T says '67

I think the power over arm has its own motor in addition to the machine proper

You can see the conduit headed up there on right side

Thanks for the great info, now the model #s make more sense to me. I found a weight of 10,300 lbs listed in my internet digging, does this sound right? It sure looks right! Luckily I have a buddy with a 20k goose neck!

It has a 3 hp or a 5 hp I.O.S ( independent overhead spindle ) head with electric clutches. Runs speeds from the drum switch. The clutches are Wagner clutches. They are not made anymore, but can be repaired. There are probably 5 of them.

Back