What's new
What's new

"Cleaning up" Sheldon Tailstock Quill Taper

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
About to put a new-to-me reconditioned Sheldon back into service, tailstock quill appears to have had more than a couple of spin-outs...

I'm thinking about cleaning it up with a MT reamer, held in a floating reamer holder using the 6-jaw Buck set-tru on the spindle (I do need to get a MT to straight adapter for the chuck). Didn't think it would be as good to just do it by hand, and the floating holder will allow for any slight misalignment of centers. Seems to me to be a bad idea to use a rigid setup by just chucking up the reamer and running it in...

Sound thinking, or is there a better way to go about this?

Hand only....just knocking off burrs or high spots...object it to leave as much original surface as possible....do not use machine power or chuck the reamer in any way!

About to put a new-to-me reconditioned Sheldon back into service, tailstock quill appears to have had more than a couple of spin-outs...

I'm thinking about cleaning it up with a MT reamer, held in a floating reamer holder using the 6-jaw Buck set-tru on the spindle (I do need to get a MT to straight adapter for the chuck). Didn't think it would be as good to just do it by hand, and the floating holder will allow for any slight misalignment of centers. Seems to me to be a bad idea to use a rigid setup by just chucking up the reamer and running it in...

Sound thinking, or is there a better way to go about this?

?? Mebbe if you have a contract to make a thousand new ones - or even ONE, from scratch?

"Clean-up" of an existing bore, damaged, you do by hand regardless.

Largely so you can FEEL what is going-on and do good ....rather than further harm.

5MT on the snout of my Alzmetall AB5/S didn''t take much effort by hand. Mostly, it had suffered welts raised around the two azures for the knock-out and locking key slots.

I used to put a dead centre in the chuck and use that in the centre hole that you usually find in the end of the reamers taper shank. Turn the reamer by hand using a wrench on the tang of the reamer and apply pressure using the tailstock hand wheel. Use some cutting fluid. Always turn the reamer in the direction of the cut, don't turn it backwards.Take it easy.

Regards Tyrone.

Back