What's new
What's new

Considering a 15" BP rotary table for my VN #12

shaggy

Hot Rolled
Anyone had experience w/ a BP/Textron 15" rotable? I can pick one up here in nice shape for a good price.

It may seem a little large for my mill, but I want the work capacity, and don't see a problem.. unless I'm missing something. Also like that this one looks to have a relatively low profile.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• 00V0V_4zGgy8hSWph_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00V0V_4zGgy8hSWph_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 62
There's no reason that won't work for you. The only possible issue is it's height. You already have limited clearance under the spindle. How tall is it?

Cal
---

Anyone had experience w/ a BP/Textron 15" rotable? I can pick one up here in nice shape for a good price.

It may seem a little large for my mill, but I want the work capacity, and don't see a problem.. unless I'm missing something. Also like that this one looks to have a relatively low profile.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

I have been using one for 30 years, no issues, get it.

I like that it has handles, excellent way to prevent hand/finger pinching.

You don't pinch your fingers by not lifting it! It must weigh 150 lbs! cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit on top of a roll cabinet, Lower half of a mechanics tool box. raise or lower the table to the correct height and SLIDE it off and on the mill.

You don't pinch your fingers by not lifting it! It must weigh 150 lbs! cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit on top of a roll cabinet, Lower half of a mechanics tool box. raise or lower the table to the correct height and SLIDE it off and on the mill.

You bet ya, all our Rotary tables, dividing heads, etc are on heavy rolling tables that push right up to the side of the mills.
For Large vertical heads for the K&T's and the big Rotary tables we lift them off the moving tables and onto the mills table with a Jib crane we have them above each of the big mills, it also helps when loading /moving material onto the mills table.

Best way to move rotary table, vises and dividing heads is a Heuer lift used for moving heavy bedridden patients in hospitals, nursing homes, and such. Looks like a small chrome engine hoist, capacity about 500lbs. Also disassembles for storage. You can usually find one on Craigslist or in a thrift store for $75 or so.

Disagree on a patient lift, engine hoist, etc. And yes used them before. As mentioned. Cart or table you can adjust mill table to match height is the superior way to do it. I recently bought a Vestil 400 pound capacity lift with the optional platform. A thin sheet of wood protects the bottom of my rotary table and dividing head. Easily slide on and off the table of my horizontal mill.

Lift Trucks | Manual Lift | Lightweight Hand Operated Lift Truck A-LIFT-R-HP 400 Lb. Cap. Fixed Legs | 241656 - GLOBALindustrial.com

There's no reason that won't work for you. The only possible issue is it's height. You already have limited clearance under the spindle. How tall is it?

Cal
---

Haven't measured the height yet, I'm guessing under 4". It's lower profile than any other rot. table I've seen. I believe the VN 12 has a bit over 12" under the spindle, not alot.

You bet ya, all our Rotary tables, dividing heads, etc are on heavy rolling tables that push right up to the side of the mills.
For Large vertical heads for the K&T's and the big Rotary tables we lift them off the moving tables and onto the mills table with a Jib crane we have them above each of the big mills, it also helps when loading /moving material onto the mills table.

I just put 5" locking castors on oak supports under an old Sears steel shop table, whose legs I adjusted to the mill table height. Slab of 1" 11-ply on top.

My mill's work area is uneven cobbled brick, so I need those big wheels. The legs on the work table have a good splay outwards, so, pretty stable.

Best way to move rotary table, vises and dividing heads is a Heuer lift used for moving heavy bedridden patients in hospitals, nursing homes, and such. Looks like a small chrome engine hoist, capacity about 500lbs. Also disassembles for storage. You can usually find one on Craigslist or in a thrift store for $75 or so.

They look interesting alright. I like the idea. I haven't seen one go for that cheap, though.

Haven't measured the height yet, I'm guessing under 4". It's lower profile than any other rot. table I've seen. I believe the VN 12 has a bit over 12" under the spindle, not alot.
Bingo ! First "machinist" answer I've seen that noticed. Yes, they are low profile, very useful.

Someone else actually built them, I forget who. Not Bridgeport tho.

Bingo ! First "machinist" answer I've seen that noticed. Yes, they are low profile, very useful.

Someone else actually built them, I forget who. Not Bridgeport tho.

I read that Hoffman built them. Below is a (not very clear) copy of the cross-sectional drawing. (PS - looks like the file size got screwed up, sorry. I'll see if I can find the original link.)

This one is in great shape, barely a mark on the top, and turns smoothly; some backlash in the worm, but I believe it can be adjusted.
It's got some serious weight, has to be close to 200 lbs. Not something for casual swapping about.

Attachments

• Bridgeport_rotary_table (1).jpg
    Bridgeport_rotary_table (1).jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Yep, low profile, plus large diameter fairly massive table w/ a lot of inertia. Should be a very stable platform esp. if the work's bolted down directly. With stuff on top like 3-jaw chucks, vises or fixtures for additional x-y movement, you lose a lot of that advantage.

For my small rotary tables I'm always looking for a 'flatter' chuck or alternative fixture. Adding stuff always makes it too tall, both for stability, and for minimal headroom.

Best of all with this one is there's a ton of room for any sort of clamping. It's gonna be funny to ever go back to a 4-1/2 or 6" rotary table :)

But first I gotta figure out HTF I'm gonna move the beast around without dropping it :eek:

Last edited:
First, slid on a plank out of the back of the vehicle and onto the trolley. Then on 1/2" plywood over 8' of loose gravel... very carefully

...onto the rough brick pathway leading to the back of the shop. Again, carefully - that cart is a bit too rickety, to be honest ;)

Cleaning up and lubing with way oil now, and replacing a couple minor missing parts.

This thing is nice!

(BTW, the overall height is 4-1/4".)

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_120102654_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200808_120102654_HDR.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200808_120547164_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200808_120547164_HDR.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
All cleaned up and ready to go.

Attachments