86.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1506[1].jpg
    IMG_1506[1].jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1509[1].jpg
    IMG_1509[1].jpg
    97 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Well, I think we have found David's SERIES. Probably a 32 from 1920 era. Thumbnails shows one at P&W circa 1920 which has David's feed change levers as in his photo

As such, this will be a plain bearing Lucas with front tapered plain bronze bearing similar to Hendey lathe - you can set it up just as fussy as you want

ON EDIT

Also as such, Archie's amazing chronicle has heaps of at least related info and photos - the photos selected for posting today from that source show main gear box - apparently damaged and by passed on David's larger machine. Note on the "green" photo you can plainly see where the speed tag was riveted on

Attachments

• IMG_1509[1].jpg
    IMG_1509[1].jpg
    97 KB · Views: 105
  • Lucas 1920.jpg
    Lucas 1920.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Lucas 21 Tranny.jpg
    Lucas 21 Tranny.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Tranny Lucas 21 less levers.jpg
    Tranny Lucas 21 less levers.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Hello,
My name is David, and I am not a machinist, nor have I ever actively participated in a forum so please bear with me. With John's gracious assistance he seems to have narrowed down the machine type and model w/o the serial number.
The machine was left behind by the estate at my request when I purchased the home. They were preparing to remove the machine after closing. In retrospect I wish I would have kept my mouth shut and let them move it. But being a general tinkerer I just couldn't see it go away, but that was before I truly came to know how big the machine is, and now the space it occupies is more important to me than the machine.
I'm hoping someone will appreciate it and come and take it off my hands. The machine is outside, sitting flat on a 16' wide cement driveway, and has a shed built around it that will be demo'd. In fact the "gable" of the shed is a heavy i-beam gantry. I have trolleys and hoists. The gantry is just a tad short, but that can be easily remedied. Btw, the gantry stays. There are no overhead obstructions and a truck can be driven directly up to it.
I'm not in any particular hurry, but if someone doesn't express interest in it soon I will begin disassembly for re-purposing and scrap. I will cooperate fully with anyone dedicated to taking the machine. I'm here most everyday all day.
Here are a few dimensions that may be of interest:
The spindle has a 4" OD and 120" long. I don't know how to properly measure the "bed", but the surfaces the table travels on are approx 79" long, and the table is 30" wide by 48" deep.
The residence was owned by the late "Jerry" Dobson and he operated his business "Small Machine" from here. I was told he was the machinist's machinist. He did not do any manufacturing, but rather repaired and restored machines, which sort of explains why/how the machine came to be here.
Based on old Google Earth Street View pics, there were a number of machines under tarps that were auctioned off as part of settling his estate. The outboard portion of this machine went at the auction. I was told the machine did function.
So, please tell all your friend's it's first come first serve.
I prefer to communicate via email and will endeavor to keep the thread updated.

Thanks for your consideration,
David

Here are some general specifications circa 1920. Weight down to 14,500 on the Series 32. Interesting that spindle is 3 3/4" OD - David's 4" suggests his machine is later than 1920 (the 30 series went away 1929 with the advent of the 40 series)

Thanks to Vintage Machinery

Attachments

• General Specs 1920.jpg
    General Specs 1920.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 70
Hey John do you have anymore details you might be able to provide, would contacting Lucas Precision even help or would any information from that age be long gone? I am going to reread the Tuckahoe thread, I emailed with David this morning and sent a RFQ to one of the riggers I know in my area.

Then if that all goes well, figuring out how to disassemble the headstock/column and counterweight assembly to get it inside of my garage and reassemble it with very little headroom for a crane in my garage shop.

If I can manage to get over the couple hurdles in the immediate path and head down there to pick it up I'll make a thread and track the progress for posterity, maybe make some YouTube videos of the trials and tribulations.

You could ask them (Lucas Precision) if they are still around, but I seriously doubt they would have much to say with no serial number which has yet to be found.

The early forty series booklet I have (I have to suppose it is a little after 1929 - which is when the forty came out) has a single page on putting dismantled machines back together, but that is all I can offer that may be of use in taking one apart

Private Message me your email address and I'll send along a scan

ON EDIT...add scan of reassy page

Hey John do you have anymore details you might be able to provide, would contacting Lucas Precision even help or would any information from that age be long gone? I am going to reread the Tuckahoe thread, I emailed with David this morning and sent a RFQ to one of the riggers I know in my area.

Then if that all goes well, figuring out how to disassemble the headstock/column and counterweight assembly to get it inside of my garage and reassemble it with very little headroom for a crane in my garage shop.

If I can manage to get over the couple hurdles in the immediate path and head down there to pick it up I'll make a thread and track the progress for posterity, maybe make some YouTube videos of the trials and tribulations.

Attachments

• Reassy.jpg
    Reassy.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Back