What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Milacron 10-Axis CNC Spar Mill

MikeyBiker

Plastic
I found myself here during a research project on my professional history {long story} but I’d like to find more information on one of my old projects.

I was the project engineer/manager for what we called the “Cincinnati Milacron 10-Axis Spar Mill”. We did a cooperative development for installation in Long Beach, supporting production of the Douglas DC-10 wing spar. About 90 feet of forged aluminum with a bend in it, tapered, etc.

I’m 76 now, and making no excuses for my dim memories, but I think the principal company rep was Mr. Richardson {Keith?}, but I might well be mistaken.

Just a bit of trivia for my bonafides: Try to get a 120’ foundation to stay level when the concrete is poured over what was a swamp and the tides go in and out!” We used a Hewlett Packard laser interferometer to certify lengths to the ‘tenths’… And lastly I had to educate a bunch of machinists about the concept of ‘Adaptive’ NC.

Any, all information will be handled respectfully, and I’ll comply with any other restrictions you might have.

Attachments

• DC10FirstFlt13.jpg
    DC10FirstFlt13.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't get any (other) responses, try reposting the question but adding the "Cincinnati Milacron" reference to the thread title, along with the date(s) of the work. Even through it's in the C-M subforum, you'll get more eyeballs paying attention with the more descriptive title.

It sounds like interesting work, hope you make progress with finding fellow contributors.

Thank you! See why they kept me in the back room, far away from the Sales & Marketing smooth talkers?
I will give the forum a few days past the holiday, and spend the time searching for my souvenir paperweight from the project.
Then I'll repost with an improved thread title.
Hope this finds you well and happy.
mike

I found myself here during a research project on my professional history {long story} but I’d like to find more information on one of my old projects.

I was the project engineer/manager for what we called the “Cincinnati Milacron 10-Axis Spar Mill”. We did a cooperative development for installation in Long Beach, supporting production of the Douglas DC-10 wing spar. About 90 feet of forged aluminum with a bend in it, tapered, etc.

I’m 76 now, and making no excuses for my dim memories, but I think the principal company rep was Mr. Richardson {Keith?}, but I might well be mistaken.

Just a bit of trivia for my bonafides: Try to get a 120’ foundation to stay level when the concrete is poured over what was a swamp and the tides go in and out!” We used a Hewlett Packard laser interferometer to certify lengths to the ‘tenths’… And lastly I had to educate a bunch of machinists about the concept of ‘Adaptive’ NC.

Any, all information will be handled respectfully, and I’ll comply with any other restrictions you might have.
I apologize for the quality of image, but here is my award for the spar mill machine acquisition project. It has been mistreated by rough handling, but I still value the memory...

Attachments

• 231_0035.jpg
    231_0035.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 57
Interesting!

Here's a link for a Cincinnati 120', 7-axis, twin-spindle CNC Spar Mill:
776005.jpeg

And a Cincinnati 84', 7-axis, twin-spindle CNC Spar Mill:
dc6c0d52cb20463fd5b55bb2c0975129-f4ae05248077c4927fc66a3a66f4cdba.jpg

Neat pic! Did you make any progress on your search?
Sorry for the delayed response, somehow I've ceased getting any notices about this...
The answer is NO.
I can guess, but cannot really explain that one.
But in the meantime, I've cleaned the spar section, and adjusted the lighting for my photograph to be 'easier' on the surface defects... kind of like some portrait techniques.DC-10~Wing Spar.jpg

Back