Electrical woes on 2HL - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

If the plain bearings get bad enough, the air gap will be used up and the rotor will be rubbing on the stator - I would think you could hear that.

2. Likes ramsay1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guys, thanks for all the reply's! It has been a journey! Haven't resolved it yet, but have gained much in knowledge!

As far as balancing converter, I am looking into that. From all my research so far, I have read that VFD's are sensitive to unbalanced voltages, but motors mainly run at a slightly reduced power output and slightly warmer. But the larger the difference between idler size and load motor size, the less of a factor it is. And the balance is mostly at a set load...so not sure how much I would benefit. I may still do so as time permits, as it will add to my experience and knowledge! And though it might help, I believe my major problem lies elsewhere.

John, I did not hear or feel vibration from rubbing. I have the belts pretty loose. I assume the wear is at the top of the bearing, from the belts pulling upward for so many years. I plan on fixing bearing at some point. But I have read others say they line honed thru both endbells/bearings. If it was a matter of centering and boring one bearing in one endbell, I can handle that. But I don't have the equipment/tooling to line bore/hone...(yet! LOL)
    The motor runs great at anything but the highest speed. Of course, that's light cuts...don't know how it will do with heavier cuts even at the lower speed.
    Next step is open the knee and investigate the feeds...but that will probably have to wait until winter. If and when I solve this, I will come back and post what I learn.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one of the two plain jobs from my 1917 Westinghouse 10HP 865 RPM

2" bore - 5" long - originally Babbitt - in cast iron sleeve - with slot for oiling ring

I bored out the worn out Babbitt for a bronze sleeve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1000352sm.jpg  

5. Likes ramsay1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chucky55 View Post
    Guys, thanks for all the reply's! It has been a journey! Haven't resolved it yet, but have gained much in knowledge!

As far as balancing converter, I am looking into that. From all my research so far, I have read that VFD's are sensitive to unbalanced voltages, but motors mainly run at a slightly reduced power output and slightly warmer. But the larger the difference between idler size and load motor size, the less of a factor it is. And the balance is mostly at a set load...so not sure how much I would benefit. I may still do so as time permits, as it will add to my experience and knowledge! And though it might help, I believe my major problem lies elsewhere.

John, I did not hear or feel vibration from rubbing. I have the belts pretty loose. I assume the wear is at the top of the bearing, from the belts pulling upward for so many years. I plan on fixing bearing at some point. But I have read others say they line honed thru both endbells/bearings. If it was a matter of centering and boring one bearing in one endbell, I can handle that. But I don't have the equipment/tooling to line bore/hone...(yet! LOL)
    The motor runs great at anything but the highest speed. Of course, that's light cuts...don't know how it will do with heavier cuts even at the lower speed.
    Next step is open the knee and investigate the feeds...but that will probably have to wait until winter. If and when I solve this, I will come back and post what I learn.

Charles
    Forget about vfd for you larger motors....Stick with your rpc and balance the output with run caps as stated prior....One the finishing of bushings, I used an adjustable reamer that is piloted for such a situation as line reaming electric motors... Cheers; Ramsay 1