What's new
What's new

Floor leveling mount for a no. 3 Cincinnati mill

BigonUSA

Plastic
WP_20150522_023.jpg

What is a good floor adjusting leveling mount for a no. 3 Cincinnati mill that has good damping / vibration control.

It has holes in the base but are not threaded, they could be to bolt it down.

I need something finer than just adding plates to the corners / side if possible.

A few questions: What kind of floor are you on? Will you need to move the machine in the future?
Are you having a noticeable vibration problem now?

Those holes were to bolt the machine to a wood create / skid. Not for leveling. If I recall that mill sets n 3 pads , 2 under the holes and one bigger on on back side. I never heard of it needing vibration pads, but if you want to, go to a shoe repair shop and buy some leather and slip it under the pad. You could also use thick steel and some brass shims to get it level. If your not using coolant I wouldn't worry about it being level.

12" of concrete, all of my machines that I have owned had some type of adjustable leveling.

One of the machining process need has two surfaces level for alignment and if the table is all ready level it's much faster set up.

As far as a vibration problem, I would like the best solid mounting so I could mount a shaft balancer on it when I need.

I thought mounts would be easy to get for this but it sounds harder than that.

....I thought mounts would be easy to get for this but it sounds harder than that.

Harder... or softer.. as suits the need, these folk started with - among other applications in truck/automotive, and aircraft - shock-mounting "radio room" rackups on warships so the vacuum tubes and crystals didn't fail as rapidly when they fired their main and secondary gun batteries:

Vibration Isolators | LORD Corp

Note they also link to technical / selection info, and machinery-specific mounts;

Machinery Mounts | LORD Corp.

Some of the simpler embedded-bolt "motor mount" styles are as close as your nearest auto-parts store.

For we mere chikn's, a box of a dozen used "practice" hockey-pucks (the plain ones without raised team logos molded-in...) bolts or all-thread ...and a bit of engin-you-ity, may be cheerful enough - and cheaper, yet.

:)

Watch eBay for the Unisorb feet to come up. You have to be patient but you can usually find them $50-$75 for a set, (4 leveling feet). I use them for all my mills and have been happy with them.

You could make them fairly cheap. Weld a 1/2” plate on some tubing, 1/2” tapped hole in the top for the jack screw/threaded rod, piece of rubber on the floor and a 1/4” steel plate for the screw to push against. They also use thin felt between the steel plate and rubber.

Back