Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    "Made CNC necessary" might be more fair.

The creation of the templates for each grid subset was a "non-trivial exercise" in itself. Coordinating changes to each adjacent cell had to be a form of Hell.

Worse -it was "overhead" - as an intermediate process, not the final result sought.

ISTR Boeing was the first US firm to be able to afford enough computing power to make serious CAD/CAM a reality? Because it took an IBM MAINFRAME of the era to do the math in any sane amount of time.

Boeing ended-up IBM's largest-ever single "big iron" 'puter hardware owner/client.

Then went into bizness as "BCS" ..providing computing services in their own idle hours.

"puters grew better, faster, smaller, cheaper.. and CNC could go DIRECTLY to the output "metal" with its "templates" stored on ever-larger media big enough to not NEED all the "sub cell" and boundaries to be merged. Software did the whole lot, and seamlessly in a larger span.

So the "beast" is what one might class as "multiply obsolete" EG: on several metrics, not just the one.

Fun to run? Well. kinda like figuring a fish-farm is a good idea. Then picking the Blue Whale as your "product" instead of Tilapia?

Even if you can get enough Big Blue to cooperate?

Not cheap to house. Not cheap to feed!

And the whales are smart enough to take you for a pure fool!

Bitch-slap from a Blue Whale? Whole 'nuther UNIVERSE of hurt-locker!

You want to convert this puppy TO "CNC"? Run it off Linux?

I assure you it is "possible". So is economic suicide.

Pick any two.

The wider world has ALREADY replaced the function. "A while" ago.
    Faster. And cheaper.
    Expense is what I try to shy away from. I don't believe I am using this machine as is. I think it will be pieced and parted into more usable tools. The table would wonderful for large-scale planing or grinding and hydraulics are something I am familiar with. Sensors and electronics as well.

As far as cnc, I think anything I need to do I can do with smaller machines. Even if I make those machines with parts of this one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    I looked at pics in first link, looks to me like you could mount an engine block on table, surface it, swap tooling and bore it. There are some engine rebuilding machines($$$$) that look very similar.
    I think there is plenty of room for oven big truck engines in there. Not sure that I would mess with them though. Don't want to interfere with locals who are trying to make a living doing the same. I am a tinkerer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post
    Be sure to install a "bed pan" under the machine with a sump pump. You will need it to recover all of the oil it uses from day to day operations. I recall my dad saying this. The place he worked at back in the late 1960's early 1970's, they had sever of them. I've been around a couple over the years, always a pool of oil on the floor around them. Dad said they were a nightmare to work on, too! You can never stop all of the oil leaks! Maybe with a truck load of Loctite, may stop the leaks!
    I certainly don't want to go broke pouring hydraulic fluid on the floor.

That reminds me...I need to order some seals for the backhoe!

4. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    I looked at pics in first link, looks to me like you could mount an engine block on table, surface it, swap tooling and bore it. There are some engine rebuilding machines($$$$) that look very similar.
    Dang! That does sound like a good idea though. Guess I have to wait and see what needs to be done to the machine once I get it back and ... LOL ... Build a shop and gantry crane around it!

Still, I have to believe there is a good fit for me type of use for it or at least pieces of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About 20years ago local die shop went under.They had 3 Hydrotels.The only one that sold was the largest one,for $100.00. I asked the guy if he had work for it and he told me that all he wanted was DRO & scales was going to scrap the rest. I think that thing was about 30 ft long.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aefriot View Post
    Dang! That does sound like a good idea though. Guess I have to wait and see what needs to be done to the machine once I get it back and ... LOL ... Build a shop and gantry crane around it!

Still, I have to believe there is a good fit for me type of use for it or at least pieces of it.
    Prolly adapt it to aim your M1890M1 12-inch Mortar?