What's new
What's new

G&L No 0 Horizontal Boring Mill info

deerefanatic

Aluminum
Anyone have any info on a Giddings and Lewis No 0 HBM? I just bought one yesterday, got it fairly inexpensively. planning to use it in my shop for doing repairs on farm equipment castings mostly. I've looked all over the internet and cant really find any info on these machines. Just curious if anyone knew anything about them.

-Matt

G&L No 0 info

So, had a discussion from a Facebook group where a gentleman who worked for G&L for a number of years and now works for a machinery refurbisher.. He indicated that this machine likely dates from the 1900s as the model 25 was introduced in 1917. Makes sense, as I saw an ad on VintageMachinery.org from 1918 showing a No 4 Floor type machine.

Never seen an "0" model. At the risk of asking a ridiculous question are you going to do a full tear down? Thanks for photos. Congratulations on the purchase.

0ZnzX7nGGERQIM7eLEslIISxxLwAqarbW_BMO55Fn8vqMXgzH3gBHv55cfSyIpd9sqKkrbzynk6AZKaWgMwTXegtJ7ObdSjP3PRrKmcVfXfqRMjhQsrcPlhI-MDmyJXkySjk_j9rzh0DkkkyW5I7PNXL2louETVSDjHuPlIGk3MJ_objfqGBh3kHvugAHo7NOKD6QPe0_mfYbk6mY9uKwxXVxLAOG7BV8M0Yvm2oOF3hFjoqeqVgc0WawlpQnLIhHXwOTDXG_Vg316NW3qETw-sLSqmbhaCxaLwLiGZcERh35NwVBMKPV9xDvhYKB39vRlJv1VIPFQ9WGJxS-1Av_65v6k9_H1cqOdw4GTPoi2A4jWKpzR3ZsuCXGdZzk9evdhxJfzzvTLttXK31SgrIVZTL4NpyivZ_lVz8Ak0QF-1Wm9DftIjtM7ID__Dvnsx7Jd6VnDIQL-1Va_BkTQy7z4XQysn9R_hgIs2glTLHNO-O6BDrRpJfmmfuQyXHqVjlkWLRmWY40VxOBHl3OJoG1f15nH06z3wqDCeHXJqqiv_vaA2U3lOD5FGRdzYXLyFchk-IFZKZAnq76jYVZoIWaL3CpHWiimyYs4uzKjZ8XWXaDLiIAtWGZ2TXQXd5eQAJFlp1RATk90RH8EKKl2UPIQqlQMYDRR1IF-wxeeUjHWUOId0iK_eE1FOqlSKoqZKqsvJFMeIkuXaLLUpCTb6VlaPHnzBqjv3fDOfLwsqO3tsRngGEGDFAEQ=w872-h654-no

Love the machine and nice building you have there too.
Going to fill all the space with machines ? ? ?

-Doozer

Love the machine and nice building you have there too.
Going to fill all the space with machines ? ? ?

-Doozer

I wish! Shop isn't mine, it's actually part of the truck/heavy equipment shop that I work at for my day job. I rent some space in the corner. There is an all-concrete building on the property that has 16ft walls that I hope to rent in full to move into some day (mainly cause it could support a bridge crane). but that's probably a few years down the road. We just use that building for storage right now.

Found out today that the counterweight chain broke on the ride home, so I've got some forklift chain ordered up. Will be here Monday.

I'm guessing this was the one that was on Facebook Marketplace. I did a quick look when it popped up because I was curious as to how heavy it was. My very old copy of the Serial Number Reference Book goes back to 1925 but doesn't show a No 0 machine. Is that motor mount fabricated? I think its likely this was a flat belt machine.

I wish! Shop isn't mine, it's actually part of the truck/heavy equipment shop that I work at for my day job. I rent some space in the corner. There is an all-concrete building on the property that has 16ft walls that I hope to rent in full to move into some day (mainly cause it could support a bridge crane). but that's probably a few years down the road. We just use that building for storage right now.

Found out today that the counterweight chain broke on the ride home, so I've got some forklift chain ordered up. Will be here Monday.

Mm, I see it's too late to tell you - always restrain the balance weight before you travel the machine. At least you know now that the chain needed to be replaced. On the more modern machines we used to measure the chains for wear. Once it got to 90% of a new chain it was time to change the chains.

Regards Tyrone.

Yes, this was the mill on Facebook Marketplace in the Cinci area. I'd say it is around 7-8k lbs. I used our JCB 540 Telehandler to unload it, and it's specd at 8k lbs at 24" load center. It unloaded it, at definitely more than 24" load center, but those machines have a healthy amount of overbuild.

Thankfully, in regards to the counterweight, it didn't appear to break much. I found a couple small pieces of what I assume were webbing that got broken out, but everything seemed ok. I shortened the chain 1 link in order to get the counterweight up so I could off load it. New chain will be here Monday.

Yes, the motor mount is fabricated. V belts just run on the flat pulley.

have 2 of them

all plain bearings accept quill thrust

top speed 225 rpm

going to need a good oil can rags and plenty of time to search out every lube point

spindle bearings and quill are adjustable

nothing precision or fast about them

have 2 of them

all plain bearings accept quill thrust

top speed 225 rpm

going to need a good oil can rags and plenty of time to search out every lube point

spindle bearings and quill are adjustable

nothing precision or fast about them

For my purposes, this will be for mostly doing bores on things that I would otherwise try to use a portable line bore rig on or jig up in my radial drill press. So I'm thinking I'd be ok. What sort of tolerance would one expect from these? +/- .002?

bout 1000 times better than any thing portable

100 year old machine

accuracy will be up to your ability to fixture, jig, scrape (bearings and ways),

grind tooling.....

tough to get round enough for rolling element bearing bores

plenty good enough for spherical plain bearings and bushings

just finished a d6t equalizer

prolly easier to get something with hard ways and real spindle bearings and some speed

to hit your desired tolerance

David Richards on youtube has a very old HBM.. I wonder if he could offer you any insight...Cheers.. Ramsay 1:)

My G&L25T looks exactly the same as the one that Dave Richards owns.
Mine is a 1946, so we have much newer machines.

As to counterweights, I moved my G&L about 15 miles and did not restrain
the counterweight. No catastrophic damage, but when I took the covers
off the column, I found a small (1" or so) broken corner of the webbing
from the column casting. No harm, but just re-enforces the idea that one
needs to restrain the counterweights in these machines when moving them.

I moved my Rockford openside planer 660 miles, and it has 2 counterweights.
The column actually has some holes in it that you can stick bars through,
and lower the counterweights down to sit on them. I did that and also
used a tractor tire innertube to blow up and further stabilize the weights.
This seemed to work well. No broken anything in transit.

--Doozer

Back