What's new
What's new

Gisholt #3, looking for info

Cole2534

Diamond
There's a Gisholt #3 near me that I >think< would make a great little production lathe.

However, I've never even seen a turret lathe in person. I know nothing about them.

This would be for a dedicated product line, 1-3/8" and 1" bar stock. There's OD profiling (including a 45 degree chamfer), drilling, facing and parting. Even possibly rotary broaching.

This sounds like ideal turret work, and it certainly has to be faster than my engine lathe for such.

I like turret lathes for the sort of work that you are talking about. Rigid setup, ideal for short bar work. Fast and powerful. (Have a Warner Swasey #3 in the shop). However, as said many times on these pages, what tooling in included? I am talking about turret tools (slide tools, box tools, multi point turning tools, etc) rear cutoff holders, master collets, collet pads and the like. Without proper tooling the lathe is nearly disabled with regards to what it can accomplish. This stuff can be had online but it will likely cost you more than you spend on the machine. Just a thought to look for the goodies in the lathe tray before you make a decision.

Looking at the pictures I do not see much on the turret except a couple of collars. The price may be a bit high, sometimes these machines go for very little. Good luck.

I like turret lathes for the sort of work that you are talking about. Rigid setup, ideal for short bar work. Fast and powerful. (Have a Warner Swasey #3 in the shop). However, as said many times on these pages, what tooling in included? I am talking about turret tools (slide tools, box tools, multi point turning tools, etc) rear cutoff holders, master collets, collet pads and the like. Without proper tooling the lathe is nearly disabled with regards to what it can accomplish. This stuff can be had online but it will likely cost you more than you spend on the machine. Just a thought to look for the goodies in the lathe tray before you make a decision.

Looking at the pictures I do not see much on the turret except a couple of collars. The price may be a bit high, sometimes these machines go for very little. Good luck.

This is the kind of stuff that I know nothing about. Thanks for giving me a heads up on what to look for.

You seem to have missed the fact that he painted the chuck, that does add value.
Ha, didn't even notice that.

What is the long lever attached to the lower part of the headstock for?

No idea, but would like to have one.

You seem to have missed the fact that he painted the chuck, that does add value.

Yikes, good catch! I did miss that! (Not really, I just try to ignore that kind of stuff. It kind of makes my stomach hurt).

Where is all the hexagon tooling?...There is nothing with it,and the mentioned chuck appears to be manual,rather than air .You will need box turning tools,slide recessing tools,combination centring /endfacing tool,several drill holders ,and sets of morse adaptors for them,preferably a couple of roller boxes,....and if there are collets,where is the closing mechanism,and collet chuck......There should be a full pallet of extras with a capstan for even basic tooling,and a couple of die heads,thread rolling heads too.......Isnt the long lever the collet closing mech......A long bar feed is self contained,the short bar feed is generally operated by a chain,like a bicycle,and is semi indepent.....

I'm always been nervous around newly painted but pretty old machines, especially when " bright " items like the chuck and the turret faces get painted also ! The tone of the advertisement doesn't fill me with confidence either. That's a capstan lathe over here not a turret lathe. As other posters have pointed out without the tooling that makes capstan work worthwhile that machine isn't a lot of use.

I'd walk away at that price.

Regards Tyrone.

Yes, tooling. In the somewhat older 1L / 2L (saddle type) Gisholt catalog, fully HALF the 47 pages is just the myriad of tooling offered.

A quick education on the tools subject can be had by acquiring a copy or scan of W&S TOOLS hand book. Mine is dated 1959.

Where is all the hexagon tooling?...There is nothing with it,and the mentioned chuck appears to be manual,rather than air .You will need box turning tools,slide recessing tools,combination centring /endfacing tool,several drill holders ,and sets of morse adaptors for them,preferably a couple of roller boxes,....and if there are collets,where is the closing mechanism,and collet chuck......There should be a full pallet of extras with a capstan for even basic tooling,and a couple of die heads,thread rolling heads too.......Isnt the long lever the collet closing mech......A long bar feed is self contained,the short bar feed is generally operated by a chain,like a bicycle,and is semi indepent.....

Run away.....fast, and don't look back.

Gisholts...ugh, Every single operator I have ever spoken with has cussed them,
and said the same thing "I wouldn't hit a dog in the A$$ with one".

When it breaks, it's gone. No one sells parts.

W&S on the other hand, has GAHR and others keeping them running with replacement parts.

FWIW if it will run on a turret lathe, it will run on a W&S auto.
For those bar sizes, look at a 1ab.

A shop out west adds CNC to good old and rebuilt W-Ss and says nothing can touch such performance..Yes just for their own use not for the market.
I ran a smaller Gisholt and thought it a good machine..but never had to look for or buy parts

Back