What's new
What's new

Going bigger. 20 x 72 pacemaker

woodsrider845

Hot Rolled
I'm tired of turning down work because I don't have the capacity. I know, I know. I should be used to it by know, seeing as I have a tic tac and two m&m's.

I only have some rough pictures, so I have to go visit her. She's not powered. It's only an hour away. Any brand specific things to look for?
Hard to see, but it looks like top speed of 800 (?) rpm. Wow. warp speed for big gurl.

The "biggies" used 800/1200/1600 top end instead of the 1000/1500/2000 on the little guys
In other words a PHYSICALLY larger machine

Hard ways are later - go to right end and see if the OUTER vee ways are separate pieces

Serial right end on vertical front face of front way. This 1942 example does not have hard ways

ATW Serial Location.jpg

I'm tired of turning down work because I don't have the capacity. I know, I know. I should be used to it by know, seeing as I have a tic tac and two m&m's.

I only have some rough pictures, so I have to go visit her. She's not powered. It's only an hour away. Any brand specific things to look for?
Hard to see, but it looks like top speed of 800 (?) rpm. Wow. warp speed for big gurl.

Except excessive wear and the possibility of a catastrophic crash, both of which would be fairly easy to determine, the machines are pretty much indestructible. Might check that the headstock isn't full of water.

Thanks Mike. Machine has been stored inside a working shop, and (from pictures) looks spotless, so I'm hoping no water.

This thing looks huge. 20 h.p. 220 3 ph on the tag. Unfortunately the serial number is non existent on the tag in the pictures.
I'll be seeing it on Saturday. If it's as nice as it appears in the pictures, It'll probably be here by next weekend.

A little teaser
Resized_2.jpg

Looks identical to.the one I restored at the museum 20 years ago and the shop I work at now ended up buying. I've literally run this machine now for 20 years. You'll not find anything better, no matter the brand. If there are 8 slots on the drive pulleys, it's a heavy duty 20".

NICE!!!! Any idea on the weight? I'll be checking it out in person tomorrow, but advance intel never hurts.

So it would seem, from Tony's site, all pacemakers have hard ways?

Anything specific to look for? (Aside from the normal latheupclosetotheheadstock wear)

You need to visit above posts

As to hard ways, See post #2

As to weight, see Bulletin 16 as noted in Post # 6

NICE!!!! Any idea on the weight? I'll be checking it out in person tomorrow, but advance intel never hurts.

So it would seem, from Tony's site, all pacemakers have hard ways?

Anything specific to look for? (Aside from the normal latheupclosetotheheadstock wear)

Here is a scan from a later Bulletin 16 showing the hard outer vees that get bolted on on the later ATWs

20200828_085415.jpg

This is a pacemaker that Johnoder once owned.untitleddhhdddddddddddddddddddddddddd.jpg
I just bought a 20x48 raised 3" = 26" swing and 48" between centers and also 800rpm. It is massive. Mine isn't home yet.
You will be impressed with the machine.
It takes a while to go through all those links John sent but its good reading.

Good luck with it.

Don't I wish - did get to run one about that long looking during the '64 to '68 apprenticeship at P&WA

Sorry John
I mmust have misunderstood. That is a long lathe. It appears to be turning a very long shaft.
I should be getting my spanner wrench from Walter's shop Saturday. His daughter Barbara shipped it Tuesday. I want to remove the chuck for transport.. You need that spanner to if you own the lathe.
So many spanner nuts get marred up by hammer monkeys using the wrong tool. A hammer and bar.
My spanner nut is flawless and staying that way.

If woodsrider845 has that spindle I will give him the link to Walters shop.

Thanks, mllud22. I am aware of Walters ( and now, his daughters) spanners. I've heard they are top notch.

My Sidney 14 has an L1 spindle, and I was lucky enough to get it with (what looks like) the original spanner.

The guy texted me yesterday, stating (and with pics showing) that he has already cleaned around the lathe for me to inspect, and allowing it to be accessed!!!!
So yeah, I'm going with a trailer. There's a few variables that need to fall into place for us to be able to get it loaded today (Only he and I , along with hoping for access to an adjoining business' forklift, trailer height to dock, and/or being able to get the trailer close to it, (haven't seen layout and I'm taking the tilt deck trailer, since the drop deck isn't long enough).
Enough rambling for now, leaving to grab the trailer. TBC.

Thank you, John.

Good for 12k
IMG_1724.jpg

But, with 3 chucks, a giant face plate, and tooling? Prolly gonna make 2 trips.

We shall see, wabbit.

Holy. Shit.

That is the epitome of a lathe. A big lathe. A lathe that will eat you, and not even know that it ate you.

I have no idea where I can put it. I have no idea how I can get it out of its current home. Pretty sure they built the building around it. (j/k. sort of)
There was no way in hell that My setup was bringing it home.

So..................

I bought it. I mean, why not?

That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. And all that bullshit, right?
Seriously, though. If you can go see a machine like that, touch it, feel it, make motor noises by it, and just walk away???? You my friends, have serious issues.

This is one of those times when you realize that all those favors you've done for friends? Yeah. So glad that I did. Got an 18 wheeler flat bed lined up, bringing two fork lifts, and some skates. For the price of fuel. Of course I'll buy the beer.
I brought home 2 chucks, 2 DA tool posts, the steady rest, and a bunch of tool holders and tooling. About 1500 lbs of it.

I left the 3 jaw on it. Why? I guess I didn't want the machine nor the chuck to have separation anxiety.

By the way. I know you're all thinking it. Overcompensating, right? Fuck yes. I can now say, and mean it, mines bigger than yours. (for the most part)

I'm excited. Can't wait to get it here. Nothing better than buying a "toy" that actually pays for itself.
(disclaimer: said friend that will be helping move, also put me onto said machine, because said friend has work for me that requires larger work envelope than I currently possess. My feelings ain't hurt:D)

Back