Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
    As I said, you won't be able to use the machine to its full capacity most times just due to workpiece, workholding, or tooling limitations. You'll really see what I mean when you are pulling that 1/2" DOC on a part that's as big as the chuck. I've not gone past 1/2" DOC because that's all the cutting surface the inserts here at work have. These 20" HDs are indeed incredible machines.
    I get whet your saying Mike. I have a couple of large 4 indexing way tool holders with high speed tooling.The 4ways seem like a rigid setup. Ill start off easy as I get comfortable.
    woodsrider845 is a way ahead with experience.
    My first cut will be spaghetti strings; I'm good at that.

woodsrider845
    Two features that your lathes has. First is the cross feed nut has a compensating nut to adjust end play. Second is the spindle end play can be adjusted by removing a plate on the back of the headstock. You may already have it all covered

I dont know how much time you have had for reading about features. I just bought a 32 page bulletin off of ebay from 1950. There are similar bulletins on Vintage Machinery but not this one. Ill scan and post it there. If you want a hard copy Ill make you a copy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks mllud22, that would be cool.

I am aware of both adjustments, but haven't gotten around to checking out the backlash compensation yet. This machine could benefit from that, but I had work for it, before I even had it here, so I amde sure all the essentials were working, and ran it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MT 6 spindle taper for this heavy 20, if anyone gives a shit. Soooo glad it's not that weirdo 200 shit or the like.