What's new
What's new

Gorton 1-22 newbe

Hi there,
My first post from a long time lurker.
I just bought a Gorton 1-22 mill and was looking for the serial number. I found the manual online and it says it's on the center column just above the left way. I cleaned and scraped around but could not see anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on where exactly to look?
I was just wanting to get the correct manual online for it.
I was happy when I went to look at it that it has a NT 30 taper spindle.
Any help is appreciated.
Joe Hynes

I was just wanting to get the correct manual online for it.
There's really only two models that matter, as far as manuals go - does it have the vari-speed, or the manual change-pulley system ? Vari-speed is the newer one, has a separate dc-motor driven downfeed and newer circuitry in the table feed. Older one has a mechanical downfeed with a little belt drive to the motor, and less advanced electronics (tubes, maybe ?) in the table drive.

Varispeed is sexier but the manual pulley-change system is faster.

Other than that, the manuals are pretty much the same.

Neat that you got a 30 taper one. B&S is sort of a pain to find toolholders for nowadays. Not enough of a pain to go R8 but still.

It has the step pulley.
I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can. I still need to get it off the trailer. 🙄
Joe Hynes

It has the step pulley.
Okay, so you want the older manual. The only real difference is in the table and downfeed drives. The pulley-type head is so simple you don't need a manual for that. The bearings and all in the spindle are the same.

Like I said, the vari-speed is sexier but in operation, I liked the step pulleys. Faster to change speed and easier to maintain. And the mechanical vari-speed downfeed is probably easier to take care of than the dc motor one these days, too.

Nice mill. Mikey likes it :)

Joe,
Not sure if you are still following the PM forum. If so, I too own a Gorton 1-22 MasterMil that I am rebuilding. Like yours, it is the step-pulley drive. Before I began disassembly, I did some light milling while driving the original "pancake" motor with a VSD unit. Worked like a charm. I also belong to the Gorton mill group on Yahoo and pictures of the rebuild are posted there. I've done a fair amount of research on the 1-22 with some success. Both forums have been helpful in that regard. Feel free to contact me should you have questions. May not be able to provide an answer, but can certainly make one up.
Greg

Yep, still here and working on my mill. I have been cleaning and painting the lower end.
I am gathering parts for the electrical box that I am building.
I am going to pull the top apart and clean and repair that next. I am almost certain it is going to need some bearings on the spindle since there is quite a bit of end play now. Maybe the lock nut is loose but I really doubt it.
The other item I have been concerned about is the belt for the high-low gear. I will cross that bridge when I get there.
Here is a picture as it sits now. 20180407_173057.jpg

I made a little progress this weekend on the mill. I almost finished the box containing the electrical for the main motor and a relay to power the transformer for the power feed motor.
I have to order a couple connectors for the conduit and a couple for the wires. It may not be perfect, but it will work.
The next stage is to pull the motor off and then tear into the top end to see how things look. I am hoping the bearings are the size I have been looking at. 20180414_182841.jpg20180415_181850.jpg

Hello All,
I am brand new to the forum, and to mills in general. I just purchased a Gorton I 22 Mastermill, haven't picked it up yet. Has a serial # on nameplate, # 41183. Be nice to know what year it was made, features, etc. An internet search yielded only 47000 plus serial info, 1967 on . Has an x,y accurite DRO and three horse, three phase motor. Looks to be in OK shape. Seller claims excellent working order. Comes with some Hardinge 9B collets. Any information would be helpful, I am hoping I can feed power through a variable frequency drive, don't have three phase in workshop. Also, is about 2800 lbs sound about right for this machine?
If I posted in the wrong place, my apologies.

Thanks!

Hoping I'll find some help here, or a reference to an appropriate thread. I have a Gorton 9J ca 1962 that I use regularly for this & that - mostly as a glorified drill press in truth... Pulley system on the head, but I run it off the VFD that came with it. I'm a guy with a mill, not a machinist per se. In any case, I'm looking to firm up the y-axis table lock, as it doesn't really hold with any strength after the lever hits its limit on the underside of the table. There is a taper with adjustment screws back & front; however I haven't been able to adjust this with any success - The table is either immovable (until I loosen the taper) or too loose to lock. Is there something I'm missing with regard to adjusting this taper so that it'll lock firmly but move properly when it should? Please advise - Thanks!

I called Hardinge, talked to an engineer/tech guy, Doug I think. He was pretty knowledgable and advised I get some collet bushings rather than buy missing collets in my set. Perhaps he can steer you in the right direction?
I just got shop inspected/approved for rough-in electric, so haven't used it yet. Gotta love the nanny state. Grad school ate up all my time the last year.
Good luck, if i can help i will

Back