What's new
What's new

Gorton 1-22 Variable speed drive belt replacement P/N?

soundresearch

Plastic
Anyone know of a currently-manufactured replacement for a Gorton 1-22 Mastermil Variable speed drive belt (Gorton P/N: K-8130, "Special belt")?
Thanks,
Greg

Don't know if you have this or its worth looking in since it makes no mention of vary speed. It does have an "internal belt" that LOOKS like it is vary speed, but may just be a "timing" belt

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2136/20043.pdf

Another way of finding belts it to get the number off the belt - if it has a belt. May be that the one on it - if there - is a replacement not by Gorton. This is the system I used to get vary belts for a DoAll band saw that were not by DoAll. :D

Thanks greatly! I did not have this particular document. It explains a lot about why Carter Open Gear grease (replacement for obsolete Keystone 122 per the forums) should be utilized in the zerk fitting on the back of the head. Looks like there are open gears inside that do need lubrication. As to the belts, I believe there are two, a timing-type belt in the lower portion of the head and in my case, a variable speed, heavy v-type belt - that's the K-8130 P/N shown in the parts list. Both belts are intact on my 1-22 (for now).

No help on the belt, but the dyna drive in that manual is the one that I have (and needs fixing), and that's about the only place I've ever found any info on it :(

Anyone know of a currently-manufactured replacement for a Gorton 1-22 Mastermil Variable speed drive belt (Gorton P/N: K-8130, "Special belt")?
Thanks,
Greg

What John said.. I've been lucky the number ON the several of these belts I run have all survived.

Reeves, VariDrive and similar Sputnik belts never have an idler running against their back like "ordinary" Vee belts often do, so the numbers are USUALLY there, and they will be the OEM rubber-goods maker's number, not Gorton's AND?OR you'll find that Gorton adopted their supplier's SKU - or part of it - into their own system. Gorton did not "make" belts. Clerks take the easy way forward.

Page two:

A good place to search?

GSA, Federal and NATO source listing online. FSN/NSN are assigned to spare parts for everything Uncle Sugar's GSA and NATO/OTAN buy.

My "orphaned" USMT "Quartet" combo mill's main 5 HP vari-drive belt was common with a ride-on floor cleaning machine the GSA bought many of for keeping their own and other Government warehouses tidy.

That had already matched-up to the major rubber-belt maker's P/N, but also led me to a NOS belt at well over a hundred dollar saving.

The place I used to work had an I-22 and I remember taking the belt number and having to search the internet for a new belt. It wasn't easy to find 12 years ago? The belt side angle for the variable speed drive was the issue? It was available, just not commonly stocked? Sorry, if this isn't much help?

Gorton Mastermil ( a.k.a. Mastermill ) 1-22 variable speed drive belt replacement UPDATE - I found a " D and D Power " listing that stated it is a direct replacement for the Gorton P/N K-8130. The actual belt callout is "2322V434" . Not sure what the "23" stands for, but I believe the "22" is the included angle (in degrees) between the belt edges (which actually contact the pulley sheaves), and the "434" designates a 43.4 inch belt pitch-diameter. The "V" is probably for "variable speed". Anyway, it looks like the belt that's on the machine, which only has the Gorton K-8130 P/N shown on it. Thanks again for everyone's help on this, and just want to say that these forums are fantastic! Spindle bearing inspection and re-grease are next.

Back