What's new
What's new

Got myself a Pacemaker!

GrantA

Aluminum
What are the odds there are 4 other Pacemaker threads on the 1st page of this forum right now? So did one of you guys buy the 14x30 that just got auctioned at Florida State? I was a little bummed but I don't envy whoever has to drag it up the ramp!
I don't normally have such luck but I hopped online and found a 16x54 about 5 hours away and the deal is done- I'm picking it up next Friday :-)
Here's a pic for now!
fullsizeoutput_e82.jpg
That one's kinda small here's another of the same lathe before it was put on skis
s-l1600.jpg

Serial is 70647-47
It's got a 1500rpm spindle, 18-speed range

Bulletin 16, 17 and 20 will be close to applying

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/index.html

Thanks to Greg Menke

May have the bolt on tool steel outer vee ways by '47 - they had no choice since their same town competitors (like Le Blond) made nothing but starting that year

I see it has Lead Screw Reverse - what a blessing (4th rod across front and mysterious extra lever on right of apron)

What are the odds there are 4 other Pacemaker threads on the 1st page of this forum right now? So did one of you guys buy the 14x30 that just got auctioned at Florida State? I was a little bummed but I don't envy whoever has to drag it up the ramp!
I don't normally have such luck but I hopped online and found a 16x54 about 5 hours away and the deal is done- I'm picking it up next Friday :-)
Here's a pic for now!
View attachment 279610
That one's kinda small here's another of the same lathe before it was put on skis
View attachment 279611

Serial is 70647-47
It's got a 1500rpm spindle, 18-speed range

That's a nice size of lathe. Good top speed also.

Regards Tyrone.

Thanks John I’ve got some reading to do!
This should be a nice addition to my 13” south bend. I’ve been looking for something with a bigger swing and more rigidity, this one definitely checks both those boxes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks John I’ve got some reading to do!
This should be a nice addition to my 13” south bend. I’ve been looking for something with a bigger swing and more rigidity, this one definitely checks both those boxes!

Addition? Buddy, that's a full blown replacement. Nice looking machine.

Haha thanks Cole, I figure the SB will be mostly for collet work now. I've got a 10" logan and a hardinge dsm59 so I'm thinking the logan will be on the chopping block now

Congrats! I have been super impressed by my 16x30. 1943 vintage. Yours looks really nice! Wish I had the reverse lever yours does.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Haha thanks Cole, I figure the SB will be mostly for collet work now. I've got a 10" logan and a hardinge dsm59 so I'm thinking the logan will be on the chopping block now

Be grateful there ain't much actual Iron in an SB. Or Logan.

If there were, the ATW might mistake 'em for Vitamin pills, and they could turn up missing over a long weekend when it hadn't been recently fed.

Congratulations on scooping up that Pacemaker! It's the toolroom version with some extra goodies the regular lathes didn't have. I've been watching that lathe for a while but having to move house in a few months put me off acquiring anything else big and heavy.

nice lathe. i love my pacemaker. i don’t see the lead screw reverse lever though, maybe it’s cause the pic is small on my phone. I have a tool room one with the 2000 rpm head, lead screw reverse (never have needed it or really know what to do with it). I also have the holder for the collets that mounts to the tail end.

There fantastic lathes. We need some better pics. there should be a number on the face of the tail end of the bed way that says the year it was made.

nice lathe. i love my pacemaker. i don’t see the lead screw reverse lever though, maybe it’s cause the pic is small on my phone. I have a tool room one with the 2000 rpm head, lead screw reverse (never have needed it or really know what to do with it). I also have the holder for the collets that mounts to the tail end.

There fantastic lathes. We need some better pics. there should be a number on the face of the tail end of the bed way that says the year it was made.

I'll have better pics next Friday when I pick it up. Made in 47
I was wondering about the reverse lever, it looks like it does have the feature just not the lever which should be easy enough to remedy
It looks like it doesn't have the stop dog setup, I wonder if that could be added hmm

after looking closer it does look like it hasn’t the reverse but has the handle missing. i think they just screw on. as far as the stop dog, i think those are only on the larger lathes. they do have collars on the fed rod that you set for stopping the carriage. it slides the rod left or right causing it to disengage.

Last edited:
Woo-hoo loaded and rolling home!
It DOES have a taper attachment too! I wasn't positive. I'm a little surprised it has a 5hp motor, I haven't noticed one with less than 7.5hp til now.
58A3D7F1-124B-48D6-9FA8-8E31600FB1B8.jpg

Here's the plate on the lathe. Seems original
fc27b8c8d72b832b2fe30485f9d5e6b9.jpg

Hopefully I'm not missing anything for the compound. I've got the handwheel and some other items in a box. CXA tool post too
7e2a97ab82b30f6647c5b44cd22d6355.jpg

ab9402c41c06c8b464d4e04b493f6527.jpg
d7df0fd2d146b25214fe68ee899c756a.jpg
6e729cdf304207f86c90bbe9c58f59ec.jpg
8a7552846c8beceaaa8c3381aa83a7e9.jpg
0a3ccae784d3ad40dfd4c92115b70a2e.jpg
86bb91e3a27ff6cfd97f40a5503baf11.jpg

looks like with a little cleaning up it will be a nice lathe. it looks like your missing the handle and the plug below it on the compound but those might be in the box you mentioned. also the lead screw reverse handle is hopefully in there since its no on the rod. hopefully there is a micrometer carriage stop with it. I use mine a lot for doing different things.

did it come with a steady rest or follower rest? I want to try to find a follower rest but i have yet to ever see one of the pacemakers with one. they do show one in the old bulletins though.

as far as motors go, i thought 7.5hp was as small as they went but i cant seem to find it in the bulletins. im sure anything could be had back them. My lathe came with a 10hp 2 speed motor so i can split all the head stock speed by half giving me 54 instead of the 27. when i do that it changes the motor from 10hp to 5hp so you should be fine with that motor.

Yes the handwheel is there and a plug that looks to be brass for that hole.
I did get a steady, no follow rest. Also the coolant pipe setup (I just unscrewed the pipe for transport)
And a micrometer carriage stop, the covers for the taper attachment, chip pan, tailstock crank handle. I think all I'm missing are the L1 spanner, tailstock clamp wrench and reverse lever.

Back