What's new
What's new

Hauling this thing home tomorrow - Van Norman 1RQ-3-22

morestainless

Cast Iron
I've been waiting for one of these quilled Van Normans to pop up. One finally did, just 2hrs away. Decent shape and price. The basement is full now. The surface grinder will have to go out in a shed:

Bostomatic 300 - 5 axis
Van Norman 1RQ
Bridgeport 1A
Springfield 16" lathe
Hardinge HCT lathe
Logan 10" lathe
Atlas Horizontal mill
Keller Hacksaw

Attachments

• 20180426_111430.jpg
    20180426_111430.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,017
  • 20180426_111416.jpg
    20180426_111416.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,261
  • 20180426_111451.jpg
    20180426_111451.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,217
I've been waiting for one of these quilled Van Normans to pop up. One finally did, just 2hrs away. Decent shape and price. The basement is full now. The surface grinder will have to go out in a shed:

Bostomatic 300 - 5 axis
Van Norman 1RQ
Bridgeport 1A
Springfield 16" lathe
Hardinge HCT lathe
Logan 10" lathe
Atlas Horizontal mill
Keller Hacksaw

Just send the Atlas mill off to the recycler before the Van Norman decides to make Vee-blocks of it, peddle the poor-but-honest Logan so it need no longer kowtow to the gentrified Hardinge nor cower in fear of the larger Springfield fossil... and the shed can remain dedicated to rusty gardening tools and such.

And/or the Keller. They're far better at sleeping rough with no more than a decent shelter-half than any SG I ever met. Easier to move, too.

:)

Bostomatic 300 - 5 axis
Van Norman 1RQ
Bridgeport 1A
Springfield 16" lathe
Hardinge HCT lathe
Logan 10" lathe
Atlas Horizontal mill
Keller Hacksaw

Mill envy here, and as you said, with a quill ... hopefully our will exercise this animal of a machine!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just send the Atlas mill off to the recycler before the Van Norman decides to make Vee-blocks of it, peddle the poor-but-honest Logan so it need no longer kowtow to the gentrified Hardinge nor cower in fear of the larger Springfield fossil... and the shed can remain dedicated to rusty gardening tools and such.

And/or the Keller. They're far better at sleeping rough with no more than a decent shelter-half than any SG I ever met. Easier to move, too.

:)

' been thinkin' about that (Atlas and Logan). The HCT wants an HLV buddy though. I don't use the Atlas any more, but, I want the surface grinder in a different room anyway.

' been thinkin' about that (Atlas and Logan). The HCT wants an HLV6hb

STATE of Washington, right?

Whatever else you do, don't condemn an SG to a condensing humididity slow-death in a shed.

Keller PHS can be slathered in preservative and still function that way - no clean-up needed to make a cut. The Kasto here is going to have to learn similar survival skills - as much for the space it needs to feed it as for its own modest footprint.

Much as grinder debris is better isolated than shared, an SG is pickier about its quarters.

morestainless, I went with a friend to look at that mill but he passed on it.
The seller didn't even know it had a quill until we showed him how it worked.
With a little clean up it should be a great machine.
I did buy a 15 foot piece of ground and polished rod 1-5/8 diameter for 50 bucks.

morestainless, I went with a friend to look at that mill but he passed on it.
The seller didn't even know it had a quill until we showed him how it worked.
With a little clean up it should be a great machine.
I did buy a 15 foot piece of ground and polished rod 1-5/8 diameter for 50 bucks.

The seller is 78 and a stroke victim, so, yes, he didn't know much about the machine and his price was too high, even for the West Cost market. He has a foreman that used the mill. They only used it to cut keyways in shafts. It's not perfect, but it hasn't been abused.

I'm sorry... basement? Love to help out, but I'm outta town that weekend. Whichever weekend it is.

Nice machine, though.

Thanks. Getting it in the basement is no problem - basement level rear door. I have moved everything that is in there, by myself - no help from anyone. Take it apart and bring it in piece by piece. Clean it up in the process.

Congratulations! I brought home a 1R3 this past September, and about the only thing I'd part with it for is a 1RQ. Amazingly robust & versatile machines in a fairly compact package.

The orange drum switch on the left side panel looks like an add-on, not sure what function that serves.

Congratulations! I brought home a 1R3 this past September, and about the only thing I'd part with it for is a 1RQ. Amazingly robust & versatile machines in a fairly compact package.

The orange drum switch on the left side panel looks like an add-on, not sure what function that serves.

Cut power to the entire machine? I'll find out soon enough.

I just emailed these guys about blueprints for the overarm support, or having one made - Van Norman (OEM) - Machine Equipment Repair.

Made it back home (106 miles) without incident.

Nice to see another VN Q model! If it doesn't rain me out, I'm going to pick up my 2RQ in two weeks. Same as you, something has to leave the shop to get it in. Much as I hate to say it, I think the old Fosdick radial drill is going out in the un-insulated bay to make room. It's the least precision machine and the least used one.

Cut power to the entire machine? I'll find out soon enough.

I just emailed these guys about blueprints for the overarm support, or having one made - Van Norman (OEM) - Machine Equipment Repair.

Made it back home (106 miles) without incident.

Congrats on having made it home. Mine was a 600 mile round trip- 1 day down, the next day back, including a ferry each way across Long Island Sound- and totally worth the effort.

Let us know, please, what you find out about the overarm support. The prior owner of mine had started roughing one out of a big slab of aluminum, and the dovetail clamp to the underside of the overarm is already formed. Nothing is laid out or bored yet for the arbor bearing. The prior owner was going to use the overarm itself, and tooling in the VN, to locate and bore the opening for the bushing. I need to figure out what can be a robust yet affordable bearing. I realize that ball bearings would likely not survive long in a production setting, but am wondering if they might work OK for the less frequent/less demanding use I'd be using it for.

I need to figure out what can be a robust yet affordable bearing. I realize that ball bearings would likely not survive long in a production setting, but am wondering if they might work OK for the less frequent/less demanding use I'd be using it for.

A simple Bronze sleeve is more than "robust" enough. No need to over-engineer the mill at this late date.

That over-arm is nowhere near as stiff as a lathe bed, yet some mills get by with nought but a stub dead-centre for outboard arbour support.

Forklift (1 strap under knee, 1 under rear of mid-positioned ram) put it up on the trailer in Clarkston, WA.

Attachments

• 20180427_161537.jpg
    20180427_161537.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 286
My game little truck - V6, headers, 4bbl Holley, air shocks, deluxe brakes - has made many such hauling trips. One of note, 1400 miles round trip to Arco ID for a 3600lb Bostomatic. On the road, you have to be aware of what you are doing 100% of the time.

Thw mill was strapped down rather securely.

Attachments

• 20180427_173857.jpg
    20180427_173857.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 292
1st obsticle - climbing 2000 ft. via the 7 degree grade out of the Snake River gorge. 2nd gear. I stopped 3/4 way up to cool off. When the bare metal of the transaxle shift rod was cool enough to grip bare handed, I proceeded on. Normal temperature the rest of the way home.

Attachments

• 20180427_173842.jpg
    20180427_173842.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 266

Back