Heavier Toolroom Lathes: Monarch vs Lodge & Shipley vs American vs ... - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’d rather have a tracer than a taper attachment. Taper attachments cant be used for high speed threading, also easy to cut tapers using a sample tool as a master vs breaking down your setup to put the master between centers and indicating the CL.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nmbmxer View Post
    Iíd rather have a tracer than a taper attachment. Taper attachments cant be used for high speed threading, also easy to cut tapers using a sample tool as a master vs breaking down your setup to put the master between centers and indicating the CL.
    Interesting points.
    Iím also space constrained. Most of the tracer attachments Iíve seen take up a lot more space.
    Iíve never used a tracer before, so Iím wondering how temperamental they are.

My friend has a Bridgeport tracer mill that Iíve never once seen get used in over 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see no point in either the tracer or taper attachment for a manual lathe.

I've never used the taper attachments on any of my lathes current or prior. I could have a few times, but it was much simpler to make those parts on CNC's. The issue with the taper attachments is they are all crudded up because you never use them. You have to excavate the thing and clean it all up. A half day of cleaning for 20 minutes of work. CNC makes way more sense.

I think I would add a servo powerfeed to the compound before I'd worry about a taper attachment or tracer.

Given some time I'm sure you'll find a good old heavy lathe in decent shape. Having looked at a lot of them I find the later ones with toolsteel insert ways typically fare better than the WWII and older ones.

The Mazak/Hercules lathes are garbage. They're right there with the big Chinese POS things. Okuma made some really nice heavier manual lathes, but they are very few.

I've seen a few large, late LeBlonds that looked the part, but they sure are ugly.

Have you ever run a wanted ad on craigslist? Before I bought my long bed Pacemaker I ran a few WTB ads looking for a longer Axelson. I got a handful of responses, but didn't actually make a deal on any of them.

4. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rpseguin View Post
    The problem I'm running into is that many of the lathes that I am looking at have worn looking ways or have massive tracer attachments on them, some of which are integral and not easy or even possible to remove.

Don't overlook Toolmex/Polamco Wafum lathes. The TUR50 / TUR63 are up to 24" or so, have rapid traverse, gaps, w/ or w/o nice taper attachments, high spindle speeds, D1-spindles metric and inch threading, and suited to close work. I have a TUG40 18" machine that has had 40 years of hard use with heavy cutting here and still does .0002" w/o issue. They didn't spare the iron when pouring these, and the finishing is excellent. I love the control layout on mine.

6. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I didnít already have my P&W thereís a good chance Iíd be making a road trip for this PowerTurn. Big and small steady rest, tool post, (2) chucks/wrench and a taper attachment. Itís at HGR so you never know what youíre getting but for $3k.....it might be worth it?

Used Lodge & Shipley Lodge & Shipley 16" Powerturn Lathe | HGR Industrial...

8. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I just stated on another L&S thread, I found another, new to me, use of my L&S PT lathe. Last week I had to broach a 10 mm internal keyway in a 80 mm bore and my arbor press was too short for the broach, so I used the L&S tail stock. It worked perfectly, although I do have a two speed quill. These are amazing machines.

10. Likes rpseguin, Hobby Shop liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    As I just stated on another L&S thread, I found another, new to me, use of my L&S PT lathe. Last week I had to broach a 10 mm internal keyway in a 80 mm bore and my arbor press was too short for the broach, so I used the L&S tail stock. It worked perfectly, although I do have a two speed quill. These are amazing machines.

Nice!!
    Iím jealous!

Iím wondering about my not so great concrete garage floor which already has a few cracks in it.
    If I could make machinery levitate, I could redo the whole floor with appropriate thickness concrete AND with rebar in it.
    But, I guess I could pull out a few machines to pour a pad where a heavier lathe would go.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Shop View Post
    If I didnít already have my P&W thereís a good chance Iíd be making a road trip for this PowerTurn. Big and small steady rest, tool post, (2) chucks/wrench and a taper attachment. Itís at HGR so you never know what youíre getting but for $3k.....it might be worth it?

Used Lodge & Shipley Lodge & Shipley 16" Powerturn Lathe | HGR Industrial...
    Thanks for the tip!
    Looks interesting.
    I contacted them for more details.
    1.3Ē diam spindle thru hole is smaller than Iíd prefer.
    It looks like an L1 spindle nose, which is definitely better than A1