What's new
What's new

Help identify university surplus Cincinnati No 2 LR Horizontial Milling Machine

FunnyLumpkins

Plastic
Hey! Long time lurker, first time poster.

University was upgrading machines, so in turn I got a bit of an upgrade! It's always a mixed feeling when the university gets rid of great old iron, but new managers feel they have to have new stuff to stay on the cutting edge. It's painful to have to get rid of this stuff but luckily people like me pick it up and give it a good home.

It's a Cincinnati No 2LR, Serial Number 5J2U1W-26.

I've slightly gone cross eyed looking at manuals of ML and MI, and various other resources, but I have yet to see another listed LR. Mostly by lining up the shapes, it mostly looks similar to the late 50s style Universal, maybe an 2 ML.

It came with some wheel style cutters, but no arbor, no arbor support, etc. Everything that I could find (going through cabinets) seems to work in the brief amount of time I had it plugged in and tested.

There is a few weird things though. First, it seems to have a #40 taper, and the drawbar has two diameters on the tooling end, both threaded for both #30 and #40. I thought that was a neat trick actually, but I don't see how the #30 fits without a sleeve.

I have a feeling that someone used this and it was some sort of special accessory to make university instruments. I have this weird feeling too that it might be an oddball machine given that most of the other ML and MI have a 50 taper. If anyone has any info that would be very helpful. I'd love to dig around in the old lab more and look for additional parts, because I have a feeling they are somewhere it's just a matter of *finding* them.

Here's the link to the high res pictures: Cincinnati No 2LR - Album on Imgur

it seems to have a #40 taper, and the drawbar has two diameters on the tooling end, both threaded for both #30 and #40. I thought that was a neat trick actually, but I don't see how the #30 fits without a sleeve.
Not widely known fact: The standards for NMTB holders specify either a large (standard) or a small (non-standard) thread at the small end. Drawbars threaded for both are probably seen in more shops than holders with the small threads. Nichols hand millers, also NMTB 40, come with similar drawbars with both large and small threads.

Another term besides "upgrading" should be used when referring to moving out a Cincinnati mill in favor of something else.............it isn't an upgrade.
Having said that......I'd be all over it, couldn't get it soon enough.

The 5J2U part of the serial number would designate it in the No. 2 ML Universal Milling Machine Model OO. The 1W-26 puts it the manufactured date of 1950, 26th one of the year, as stated above. I am not sure why it is marked LR.

Arbors can be bought. Arbor supports pop up on Ebay, just do your homework to see if they'll fit your ram. You can still use the machine with any other tool holder (end mill, collet, boring head etc.) once you confirm what taper it is.

Our Cincinnati 2L was missing the ram and arbor support (had a home-made ram with vertical head mounted) and I was fortunate enough to find someone here on PM who had seen another 2L at their local scrap yard, so we worked out a deal and he shipped me the 2 pieces.

Similar machine

I bought mine at a surplus auction an it was the 23rd ordered in 1953. It is a 2 ML Model OO and is labeled 2 LR. It has a unerviresal head and no arbor support. I would like to get an arbor support, also. What does the "LR" signify. You may want to scour for a milling head that mounts to the overarm; either vertical or universal.

Back