What's new
What's new

Help with Kearney & Trecker 2K saddle-feed removal?

Willray

Aluminum
Greetings all,

I've read and searched everything I can find to read and search on the topic, but I'm coming up empty, so if this has been covered before, please feel free to point my apparently incompetent butt in the appropriate direction!

I'm in the process of rebuilding my toy shop/old-iron museum, after my first go at this was eaten by a fire a couple years ago. The previous version was mostly line-shaft equipment, and I'm getting too old to reaccumulate and refurbish that much iron if I want to ever be able to use any of it, so this time it looks like mid-century is where I'm going to land.

Facing me today, is a K&T 2K vertical. As far as I can tell, the knee and table are the same as a 2K plain, so knowledge here should interchange.

Somehow, the saddle feed screw on this machine is bent. The splined shaft to provide power to the knee is fine, so I'm not at all sure how someone managed it, but, the tail of the saddle feed screw runs out by about 50 thou, from a bend about 4" back from the end. The rest of it at least looks to be ok.

Probably concurrent with whatever damaged the feed screw, the saddle feed nut is at least not completely bolted to the, umm, what do they call it? The cross-feed bracket. Possibly the saddle feed nut is trashed.

So, I need to get, at a minimum, the saddle feed screw and the saddle feed nut off the machine. It looks like to do that, I also need to remove the splined knee-drive shaft (table feed shaft?), and then it looks like I need to drop the cross-feed bracket off the bottom of the saddle.

However, I'm a bit worried about all the bits that appear to ride on those two shafts. If I just pull them out, are there bits (such as the saddle-feed-screw drive gear) that are going to fall into the bottom of the knee, never to be seen again? If keeping the internal bits in place is necessary, are there any recommendations on how to keep them all there?

Or, am I mis-thinking this job, and the right way to do it is actually to pull the entire front of the knee (feed distribution box) wholesale off of the mill?

Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Eventually, I'll post some re-build and shop-filling threads, but I'm only at the property with the in-progress shop a few days a week at this point, so my ability to act on advice and provide timely feedback will be limited.

Many thanks in advance,
Will Ray

Back