What's new
What's new

Hendey 16x54 lathe - Requesting Opinions and Recommendations for Buying

landrand

Plastic
I've found an older Hendey 16x54 metal lathe that I'm interested in purchasing. Unfortunately, I'm new to machining and don't know much about lathes. I do have some pics of the lathe that you can find attached. I'm not sure what model this is, but one of the pics has a number of 16-4798. From the pics, looks like it comes with a 3 jaw, jacobs chuck, and misc drill bits and tooling. The owner is asking $2,000 and listed it as fair condition. I haven't seen it yet as I wanted to get the experts opinion first as it's about a 5 hour drive away. Could I get your opinion on this lathe and what you think it's worth. Any idea what year this was made? The lathe can be powered up if I do travel to look at it.

I'm going to retire in a few years and am looking to set up a hobby metal shop. Thanks for your time and I look forward to your recommendations and comments.Pic1.jpgPic19.jpgPic2.jpgPic3.jpgPic4.jpg

Early 18 speed - you can tell by the 600 (about) top speed. This machine has been covered in a previous thread this year - the starter of that thread went to look at it and found it to be in poor condition. Maybe I can find that thread - if I do, I'll post the link to it in this thread ON EDIT here is his inspection report

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...56-lathe-inspection-results-questions-349285/

Serial for dating will be stamped into machined cast iron right end on top in between two front ways adjacent two screws holding up lead screw bracket

High class tool room lathe in its day

Here is 1940 manual scan - thanks to Greg Menke for hosting this for me

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/hendey/1940-Hendey-Op-Man.pdf

Here is my old write up (starting on post #17) on their lead screw reverse/threading system

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-emergency-113621/?highlight=Hendey+Threading

Here is some handy GENERIC old lathe info if you are interested in learning

http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_Run_a_Lathe_SB_1of2.pdf

http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_Run_a_Lathe_SB_2of2.pdf

$2000 might be a little high given it's age, but if everything works and there isn't alot of wear in the ways, it's all up to how much you like it.

If it is used-and-abused, it would still be a fun project to fix up for the right price (kinda like a classic car). I payed $300 for my 1909 Hendey and it was very worn out, but I was ok starting a project including replacing/fabricating broken and missing parts and eventually refitting the ways because in my eyes it's a unique lathe and worth the save.

If all you want is an accurate functional machine, that's one thing. Once you throw in sentiment and pride of ownership.... value goes all over the place.

I picked up my 1943 16x30 for about $450 and a 16 hour roundtrip to California. After about a year of working on it and and fixing various broken bits it was up and running. Getting a working lathe out of the gate is worth a few dollars to my mind.

The price might be a little high depending on where you are located. Where I live that would be a reasonable starting point for price. If the lathe is in reasonably decent condition, as it appears in the photos, you will be hard pressed to find a better lathe for a home shop that has the room for a lathe that size. For me, the 16 inch is a perfect size and I would love the longer bed in the one you posted. As with any piece of machinery that old there may be issues that come up. That being said, the folks here and in the Antique Machinery forum have the knowledge to fix just about anything ever made and are amazingly helpful. I have relatives who have spent more money than that on a set of golf sticks so I look at it as cheap entertainment that also allows you to make cool things.

Sorry for the ramble.

Craig

Sounds like the Hendey lathes are good, but it appears this lathe may have issues according to JohnOder's post. I'll look to see if I can find the original query about this lathe.

I live in Northern Michigan's Upper Peninsula so it's likely I'll have to drive several hours to find a lathe. Since I'm an Engineer by trade, I love to take things apart and fix, but the complexity of a lathe in poor condition maybe outside my skill set. I'm just beginning to get into machining as I recently bought a Cincinnatti 2MI Horizontal Mill, but haven't had the chance to set it up yet. I don't think think I'll be able to machine specific parts to rebuild an older lathe anytime soon.

Here is his original thread

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...eling-240-miles-view-hendey-16-x-54-a-349225/

Sounds like the Hendey lathes are good, but it appears this lathe may have issues according to JohnOder's post. I'll look to see if I can find the original query about this lathe.

I live in Northern Michigan's Upper Peninsula so it's likely I'll have to drive several hours to find a lathe. Since I'm an Engineer by trade, I love to take things apart and fix, but the complexity of a lathe in poor condition maybe outside my skill set. I'm just beginning to get into machining as I recently bought a Cincinnatti 2MI Horizontal Mill, but haven't had the chance to set it up yet. I don't think think I'll be able to machine specific parts to rebuild an older lathe anytime soon.

I live in Northern Michigan's Upper Peninsula so it's likely I'll have to drive several hours to find a lathe.
More than once, I have bought, from photos and description posted by a PM member, then FLOWN in, one-way, driven as much as 1,000 miles and 3 or so days home, one-way Penske rental.

Other times, I have just taken the scenic route by motorcar and enjoyed a nice tour of America.

Good machine tools may need that sort of effort. They are getting scarcer every year.

Since I'm an Engineer by trade, I love to take things apart and fix, but the complexity of a lathe in poor condition maybe outside my skill set.

Nonsense. Were you born already able to walk, drive a motor vehicle, or cook a meal?
Or did you have to learn those things?

Matters not if you are an ME, EE, CE or a Chemical Process Engineer.

The edumacation was largely about how to find information, come to understand it, then apply it, yah?

There is nothing magical in a manual machine tool. Tedious? Yah. That, we DO get!

I have 3 running Hendeys, they are great lathes but the price $2000 seems a bit high. I picked-up a 24" X 48" Hendey from a dealer for $500. It's in excellent shape, all I did was connect power to it and install a chuck. It was built in 1956. I have another in addition to the 3 that's a 12" X 36", Early 50's build that needs a clutch other wise it's in great shape too it was $200! I did have a 16" X 54" and later model than yours, top speed 1000RPM. Sold it because I didn't have room because I got a 16" X 72" Pratt & Whitney. Person I sold it for $500 just connected power and it runs great. Did need the lead screw reverse clutch re-surfaced. I would check that on the one your interested in.

Back