What's new
What's new

Hendey T&G

FirstEliminator

Cast Iron
Hey guys,

Let me say I was second in line for this lathe, or the first loser:

Craigslist ad---the picures did not come through---but the machine looked good.

Hendy Lathe - $600 (Holyoke, MA)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-02-27, 2:39PM EST

5" x 30" w/ DC Drive
6 Jaw Chuck & Aloris Tool Post

It looks like a T&G. I called about 2 seconds after someone else. The sellers were saying first come first serve. I could have probably made the trip before the other buyer. But, respectfully did not rush down to grab the lathe as it really would have been frustrating to be told you are first and then have the lathe sold out from under you. I defintely wouldn't want that to happen to me. I hope the buyer was someone on this board and/or someone that really appreciates this rare machine. I have been on the hunt for one for a while.

After this close call, I have been on the hunt a little hotter than usual for a small lathe. I would like to find a lathe no bigger than 12x30. Either a Hendey, P&W or Reed Prentice. Something to fulfill my New England affliction. Not sure if R-P made a lathe that small. Would lke a lathe that will turn over 1500 rpm.

I have a question about Hendey's.
Is there a 12" Hendey that goes up to 1800 rpm? Or am I getting this confused with 18 speeds?

Any recomendations to keep an eye out for a particuar model from one of the above manufacturors?

thanks in advance,
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

Mark,

Yes somebody on this board did get it, me. Yes I do understand the rarity of the Hendey T&G. If anyone has any parts for the T&G let me know. Not sure all I need yet, but would like some of the cabinet base parts, speed change dial,front RH cover. Also steady rest and is spindle internal taper morse #4? would like collet adapter and drawbar or what ever closer was supplier with it. Will post pics later.
Ken

FirstEliminator:

The Hendey #1 High Speed had a normal upper limit of 2000rpm, but could be supplied
to operate at 5000rpm. This was a cone head model driven via a seamless belt. It was
designed to produce a high quality finish similar to lapping. It was one of two Hendey
lathes that were not designed for screw cutting.

oldisnew:

The spindle taper is a Morse #5 taper and is designed to take a set of #6 Collets.

I have all of the NOS parts that have survived and all of the original drawings. Please post the serial number so that the style of your T&G can be determined.

Hendeyman

Hey Ken,

That is great. Sounds like it going into good hands. I was depressed for a couple days for not getting it. But hey, someday, there might be another one.
Looking forward to seeing some better pictures than the CL listing had.

Hendeyman,

I've never heard of a lathe like that from Hendey. Were there very many of them? It seems the 14" swings are the most prevelent out there. When you say "cone head", is that similar to the old tie-bar with the stepped pulleys?

There is a #2x42 that I have seen listed. What would be the speeds of a #2? And, does it thread?

thanks,
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

FirstEliminator:

The Hendey #1 High Speed had a normal upper limit of 2000rpm, but could be supplied
to operate at 5000rpm. This was a cone head model driven via a seamless belt. It was
designed to produce a high quality finish similar to lapping. It was one of two Hendey
lathes that were not designed for screw cutting.

oldisnew:

The spindle taper is a Morse #5 taper and is designed to take a set of #6 Collets.

I have all of the NOS parts that have survived and all of the original drawings. Please post the serial number so that the style of your T&G can be determined.

Hendeyman
Hendeyman,

The T&G bed serial number is 38286H1251.
Thanks,
Ken

FirstEliminator:

The #1 High Speed lathe production was less than 150 machines. Very few seem to have
survived, I only know of two and I own one of them. The drive is cone head, similar to
the standard Tie Bar models. Another thing to keep in mind is that Hendey used a nominal
rating for the swing. A 12 inch lathe would nominally swing 12-7/16 inches over the bed,
but starting in the 1930s, the swing of a 12 lathe would be 14-7/16 inches. At first these
Raised Swing models were special order, but in time they became the standard. So, a
nominal 14 inch lathe from the late 1930s would swing 16-7/16 inches over the bed.

Regarding the #2 General Purpose lathe, both the #1 G.P. and #2 G.P. lathes are essen-
tually cone head lathes of an advanced design. The cone is supported independently from the spindle, thus eliminating belt strain on the spindle. The final drive from the count
ershaft to the spindle cone pulley is via a very thin belt of uniform thickness without a
splice. Unlike a geared head lathe, this arrangement tends to help eliminate transmitting
vibration to the spindle. The General Purposes lathes were designed to replace the old
Tie Bar cone heads where high rates of metal removal were not a requirement. These
were excellent machines.

A few facts about the #2 G.P. lathe. The 14 x 42 model weighs, with motor but no ac-
cessories, about 3400lbs. The speed range is 30rpm to 1142rpm. There are eight spindle
speeds. There are 48 threads and feeds available from 1-1/2 P.I. to 92 P.I. and 0027" to
.1666". Spindle takes a set of #6 Collets. Normal motor size is 5hp. According to the
April 15, 1948 Price List (the first price list for this lathe), the 14 x 42 cost $4190.

Hendeyman

oldisnew:

Hendey lathe #38286 is a 9 x24 T&G model that was one of ten ordered by the same
customer. One of these lathes was cancelled, only nine were finally delievered, no reason
was listed for the cancellation. The order was placed on December 14, 1951 and the
customer was the Arma Corporation, no city or state was listed. All of these lathes were
equipped with Motor-Generator sets, the input voltage was 220 volts, 3 phase, 60 cycles
Spindle speeds were 40 rpm to 2000 rpm. Completion date was scheduled for mid-October 1952.

I have all of the NOS parts that have survived for these lathes. All of the drawings are
still in the files. I should have the Operator's Manual, Parts Book and the Schematic in stock. Except for the early mechanical drives, the early MG sets seem to be the easiest
to maintain. Trouble shooting the electronic systems can be a bit time consuming and
buying replacement tubes can be very expensive.

Hendeyman

A few years ago, I bought an 18 speed 14" X 30" Hendey that had a top end of 2100-2200 RPM. It also had/has a 3 TPI leadscrew, IIRC. For some reason that struck as odd. I believe a member here bought it.
Harry

Oldisnew, Congratulations on the new project and welcome to the club! These Hendey's are addictive. Earl.

James,
Is 2000 rpm the top spindle speed for the Hendey T&G lathes? I am seriously considering a VFD conversion on mine but don’t want to take it higher than the bearings are made for. Thanks, Earl.

Oldisnew, Congratulations on the new project and welcome to the club! These Hendey's are addictive. Earl.

James,
Is 2000 rpm the top spindle speed for the Hendey T&G lathes? I am seriously considering a VFD conversion on mine but don’t want to take it higher than the bearings are made for. Thanks, Earl.
Earl,

Thanks for the welcome!
Ken

bigearl67:

When the T&G was introduced to the Hendey Dealers in March of 1939, the upper speed
limit was 2000 rpm. This remained in effect until 1947 because bearing heating had be-
come a problem when the lathe was run at that speed for prolonged periods. Engineers
from New Departure determined that the main problem was the use of grease instead of
oil. After this change was made, the heating problem was solved but the Company still
recommend 2000 rpm as the upper speed limit.

When Barber Colman assumed manufacture of the T&G and the developement of the
electronic drive system, they raised the recommended upper speed limit to 3000 rpm.
The bearing system essentially remained unchanged. If you decide to increase the
spindle speed above 2000 rpm, just monitor the bearing temperature.

Just to prove that ball or roller bearings are not always necessary for high spindle speeds, the Myford Super 7 had an upper speed of 2150 rpm. The front spindle bearing
was a taper bronze, similar to the Hendey taper spindle bearings.

Hendeyman

Back