What's new
What's new

How much does a K&T 2D Rotary weigh?

Excellent. That's still within the lifting capacity of my forklift. Thank you for the prompt reply and the wonderful link. You've shown me a new place to burn a lot of time!

Several things to look for.

Spindle Taper - affects ability to tool it. The reason for tool drawings in above link

Knee rapids - takes lots of get up and go to move knee up manually. Plain to see the rapid motor hanging down up front there if it has one

It has or can have up to six motors - do they all work? Every axis has its very own motor - except no power cross slide (moderns would say "Y"). This incidentally makes for up to SIX mag starters in electrical enclosure

ACCESSORIES - it could be had with several

I was told by an old K&T employee that one of the major complaints related to the early 2d was the effort required to raise the knee by hand.. I know first hand as my early model is a bear in that regard...On the bright side, my machine was originally B3 spindle taper but is now R8.. Not that I am a big fan of R8 tooling, but it is certainly better than trying to find collets that were used in most of the 2d machines plus tooling for r8 is readily available.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Thanks for the input. I've been reading all I could find and made the decision (maybe foolishly!) to purchase in spite of that. These things always need a good home and someone always seems to be looking, so maybe it will be a starter machine and someday I can graduate to a later model should one come along. This is an itch I've been trying to scratch for about 15 years.

I will start a new thread when I have the thing in my possession.

You will fall in love with this after you use it! It will spoil you with its capabilities over other mills. Yeah, it would be nice if the spindle had more power, but it's not a deal breaker. Make sure it has the collets with it and the special spindle nuts, and if it has any of the other K&T accessories thats a plus. I have all my drill chucks, boring heads, etc. on 3/4" straight shank so most of the time I just use a 3/4" collet to hold everything, and that way I can use everything on my other mills too!

When you go to move it you can pick it up by using the curved notch on the bottom of the head above the knee way for your lifting strap. They balance real well when picked there. K&T recommends that in the owners book.

Several things to look for.

It has or can have up to six motors - do they all work? Every axis has its very own motor - except no power cross slide (moderns would say "Y"). This incidentally makes for up to SIX mag starters in electrical enclosure
Six motors?
Spindle, rotary head, x-axis, z rapid. Makes 4, but 6 contactors, as the z and spindle need to reverse.

Ah.. forgot about coolant pump and air pump, John was right, he usually is.

My 2D has power cross slide. May be the only one in the world that does.

Back