What's new
What's new

How to remove tool stuck in Hendey 10x30 tailstock quill

lapoole

Plastic
Hi -
I'm not very experienced with metal lathes, and looking at a Hendey 12x30 that's for sale. A drill chuck is stuck in the tailstock quill and I don't see a way to remove it. Sadly the seller has dementia and keeps going at it with levers and drifts and a hammer...
Is there a trick I need to know, or it it time for to try a tie rod end fork or some other plan-B solution?
Thanks in advance!

Have you tried turning the handle at the rear of the tailstock to bring the quill all the way in? My Hendey would eject everything fitted in the taper.

Yes, thanks... tried that first. Will try to remove with a drift at next opportunity. Perhaps an ejector pin that should live in the quill has been lost.

If you have enough room, you can put a large enough open wrench between the drill chuck and the body of the tailstock and retract the quill till the back of the wrench is squeezed between the tailstock and the back of the chuck. Back the handwheel a little more and the chuck should pop right out (at least is what has always happened to me, never got any drill chuck popping off the Jacob taper before the Morse taper would release).

Paolo

Back