I joined the heavy iron club, 24x126 Powerturn - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    6,022
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6495
    Likes (Received)
    3357

    Default

    CXA is too small.

    I'd think CA would do it since it's a raised machine, but measure it out and see if DA is a better fit. DA is massive though.

    CA is very popular. Kinda like D1-6.

    If you're looking at a pile of lathe tooling for sale or at an auction there's about a 60% chance it's D1-6 and Aloris CA stuff. Everything else combined would be lucky to comprise 40% of what's out there.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    5,494
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1060
    Likes (Received)
    2396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post

    If you're looking at a pile of lathe tooling for sale or at an auction there's about a 60% chance it's D1-6 and Aloris CA stuff. Everything else combined would be lucky to comprise 40% of what's out there.
    Thanks for the heads up!

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    5,494
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1060
    Likes (Received)
    2396

    Default

    It's a good thing I bought the manual, there's a feed/speed chart in there but it doesn't have a chart on the machine itself. Never seen a lathe like that before.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    8,582
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    591
    Likes (Received)
    4317

    Default

    The original chart sat on the horizontal surface above the feed change dial. Stupid move on L&S part to put valuable information on a flat surface. Your pic in post 26 shows it in place. Guess it blew off on the way home.

  5. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
  6. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Posts
    901
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    The original chart sat on the horizontal surface above the feed change dial. Stupid move on L&S part to put valuable information on a flat surface. Your pic in post 26 shows it in place. Guess it blew off on the way home.
    Sure seems that way as it’s not on in the picture once the machine arrived.

    I like that one a lot better that the chart on my pacemaker. Atleast it’s somewhat cover with handles etc. the pacemaker just has the chart in the perfect spot to set down tools.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    9,201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1514
    Likes (Received)
    6148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    Sure seems that way as it’s not on in the picture once the machine arrived.

    I like that one a lot better that the chart on my pacemaker. Atleast it’s somewhat cover with handles etc. the pacemaker just has the chart in the perfect spot to set down tools.
    They weren't the only ones. Half of the lathes I ever worked on had charts in stupid places.

    Regards Tyrone

  8. Likes 4GSR, Kjelle liked this post
  9. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    891
    Likes (Received)
    350

    Default

    pacemaker-2-.jpgNot sure why or how the tag on my pacemaker is rubbed smooth right down the middle of the tag. That ledge right above may have been an ass plant spot.to lean and take a smoke.
    It only machines could talk All the long shifts and sweat that dripped on them

    Edit;
    That's where the chip shovel or broom handle leaned against the tag

  10. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
  11. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    5,494
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1060
    Likes (Received)
    2396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    Sure seems that way as it’s not on in the picture once the machine arrived.

    I like that one a lot better that the chart on my pacemaker. Atleast it’s somewhat cover with handles etc. the pacemaker just has the chart in the perfect spot to set down tools.
    I'll be damned, it sure did.

    I wonder what a repro would cost me.

  12. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    ny usa
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    328

    Default

    As far as tool posts go, I have CA's on my Sidney 14 and Monarch 14,both swing 16.5. I have a DA on my heavy 20 Pacemaker. The CA would work, I guess, and certainly keep tooling costs down, but it sure does look silly on that machine. I honestly dont think a CA would be tall enough on a 24 without a riser or something similar. Besides, the added mass of a DA on a big machine just feels right.

  13. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    891
    Likes (Received)
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider845 View Post
    As far as tool posts go, I have CA's on my Sidney 14 and Monarch 14,both swing 16.5. I have a DA on my heavy 20 Pacemaker. The CA would work, I guess, and certainly keep tooling costs down, but it sure does look silly on that machine. I honestly dont think a CA would be tall enough on a 24 without a riser or something similar. Besides, the added mass of a DA on a big machine just feels right.
    I see you have a holder with a boring bar sitting there. I would think the DA would be a lot more rigid than the original lantern style setup. I have a couple big 4 way indexing tool holders that I hope will fit my 26" Pacemaker. I think they are a rigid setup and easy to find. Not as nice as an Aloris though
    Keep us posted on your Pacemaker thread.
    Ill get you a copy of that bulletin when the weather clears.

  14. #51
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    If its wired 480, you may still want to use a transformer. Changing the motors for different voltage is easy, that is if one wasn't rewound already and only 480V leads were pulled. The difficult part is all the heaters in the overloads need changed. Depending on the overload, heaters may be difficult to find.
    I bought two new “overload relays” (heaters) plus the independent mount brackets from MarshallWolfAutomation for mine to do a 440v to 220v conversion on my Monarch 612. Keeping the existing Westinghouse contactors as they are rated for enough amperage, I suspect they used as much identical hardware as possible for either voltage. Had to rewire three motors, but the new heaters were about $70 total with tax and shipping.

  15. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    5,494
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1060
    Likes (Received)
    2396

    Default

    Unfortunately, I think this thing needs to go. If someone here wants it, please email me and we can work through details. I can arrange rigging on my end. I only want enough to cover my expenses, so if you're in the market this should be a smokin' deal.

    -Cole

  16. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    1,868
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1278
    Likes (Received)
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Unfortunately, I think this thing needs to go. If someone here wants it, please email me and we can work through details. I can arrange rigging on my end. I only want enough to cover my expenses, so if you're in the market this should be a smokin' deal.

    -Cole
    Floorspace issues, or time ?

  17. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    5,494
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1060
    Likes (Received)
    2396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    Floorspace issues, or time ?
    Floor space mainly. The shop's work is slowly inching from one-off to low production and Id much rather have a cnc lathe in that space.

    Sent via CNC 88HS

  18. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
  19. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Floor space mainly. The shop's work is slowly inching from one-off to low production and Id much rather have a cnc lathe in that space.

    Sent via CNC 88HS
    Give me a shout I am interested in more information on your machine and I am always looking for good productive machines.
    [email protected]


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •