I joined the heavy iron club, 24x126 Powerturn - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CXA is too small.

I'd think CA would do it since it's a raised machine, but measure it out and see if DA is a better fit. DA is massive though.

CA is very popular. Kinda like D1-6.

If you're looking at a pile of lathe tooling for sale or at an auction there's about a 60% chance it's D1-6 and Aloris CA stuff. Everything else combined would be lucky to comprise 40% of what's out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post

If you're looking at a pile of lathe tooling for sale or at an auction there's about a 60% chance it's D1-6 and Aloris CA stuff. Everything else combined would be lucky to comprise 40% of what's out there.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a good thing I bought the manual, there's a feed/speed chart in there but it doesn't have a chart on the machine itself. Never seen a lathe like that before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The original chart sat on the horizontal surface above the feed change dial. Stupid move on L&S part to put valuable information on a flat surface. Your pic in post 26 shows it in place. Guess it blew off on the way home.

5. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    The original chart sat on the horizontal surface above the feed change dial. Stupid move on L&S part to put valuable information on a flat surface. Your pic in post 26 shows it in place. Guess it blew off on the way home.
    Sure seems that way as it’s not on in the picture once the machine arrived.

I like that one a lot better that the chart on my pacemaker. Atleast it’s somewhat cover with handles etc. the pacemaker just has the chart in the perfect spot to set down tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post

I like that one a lot better that the chart on my pacemaker. Atleast it’s somewhat cover with handles etc. the pacemaker just has the chart in the perfect spot to set down tools.
    They weren't the only ones. Half of the lathes I ever worked on had charts in stupid places.

Regards Tyrone

8. Likes 4GSR, Kjelle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

pacemaker-2-.jpgNot sure why or how the tag on my pacemaker is rubbed smooth right down the middle of the tag. That ledge right above may have been an ass plant spot.to lean and take a smoke.
    It only machines could talk All the long shifts and sweat that dripped on them

Edit;
    That's where the chip shovel or broom handle leaned against the tag

10. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post

I'll be damned, it sure did.

I wonder what a repro would cost me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As far as tool posts go, I have CA's on my Sidney 14 and Monarch 14,both swing 16.5. I have a DA on my heavy 20 Pacemaker. The CA would work, I guess, and certainly keep tooling costs down, but it sure does look silly on that machine. I honestly dont think a CA would be tall enough on a 24 without a riser or something similar. Besides, the added mass of a DA on a big machine just feels right.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider845 View Post
    As far as tool posts go, I have CA's on my Sidney 14 and Monarch 14,both swing 16.5. I have a DA on my heavy 20 Pacemaker. The CA would work, I guess, and certainly keep tooling costs down, but it sure does look silly on that machine. I honestly dont think a CA would be tall enough on a 24 without a riser or something similar. Besides, the added mass of a DA on a big machine just feels right.
    I see you have a holder with a boring bar sitting there. I would think the DA would be a lot more rigid than the original lantern style setup. I have a couple big 4 way indexing tool holders that I hope will fit my 26" Pacemaker. I think they are a rigid setup and easy to find. Not as nice as an Aloris though
    Keep us posted on your Pacemaker thread.
    Ill get you a copy of that bulletin when the weather clears.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    If its wired 480, you may still want to use a transformer. Changing the motors for different voltage is easy, that is if one wasn't rewound already and only 480V leads were pulled. The difficult part is all the heaters in the overloads need changed. Depending on the overload, heaters may be difficult to find.
    I bought two new “overload relays” (heaters) plus the independent mount brackets from MarshallWolfAutomation for mine to do a 440v to 220v conversion on my Monarch 612. Keeping the existing Westinghouse contactors as they are rated for enough amperage, I suspect they used as much identical hardware as possible for either voltage. Had to rewire three motors, but the new heaters were about $70 total with tax and shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unfortunately, I think this thing needs to go. If someone here wants it, please email me and we can work through details. I can arrange rigging on my end. I only want enough to cover my expenses, so if you're in the market this should be a smokin' deal.

-Cole

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Unfortunately, I think this thing needs to go. If someone here wants it, please email me and we can work through details. I can arrange rigging on my end. I only want enough to cover my expenses, so if you're in the market this should be a smokin' deal.

-Cole
    Floorspace issues, or time ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    Floorspace issues, or time ?
    Floor space mainly. The shop's work is slowly inching from one-off to low production and Id much rather have a cnc lathe in that space.

Sent via CNC 88HS

18. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Floor space mainly. The shop's work is slowly inching from one-off to low production and Id much rather have a cnc lathe in that space.

Sent via CNC 88HS
    Give me a shout I am interested in more information on your machine and I am always looking for good productive machines.
    [email protected]