What's new
What's new

I need some help from Clausing 13x36 owners - I have to make a replacement pulley

Pyrex

Aluminum
I purchased a 1968 Clausing Colchester 13x36" about a week ago for a great price. The reason being the previous owner wired the lathe up wrong and destroyed the three phase motor. However, since it was a 3HP motor from the factory, a single phase motor is viable and that is my intention. The only issue is the previous owner tossed the motor - along with the drive pulley. My problem is I cannot find any drawings of the pulley I need to make for the new motor. It is a double v-belt design, and seeing as my motor RPM was 1800 and the fastest speed of the lathe is 1500, I know it's probably a smaller diameter than the headstock pulley (17% smaller, maybe?), but other than that I'm in the dark. Also, the lathe was a two speed model, and I'm not very familiar with how Clausing did this (if it was some sort of variable pulley attachment or a phase/Hz reduction).

tl;dr - Could anyone with a Colchester 13x36" late 60's lathe please photo your drive motor and pulley for me? Which direction does the motor run in it's standard setting? If anyone has a drawing or could take some basic dimensions for me it would make my life a lot easier. I have been unable to locate anything of use online so far. I just need a place to start this conversion! Thanks in advance for any help!

If the ratio between the input shaft of the lathe and the spindle is 1:1 then you're correct. You need a drive
pulley with diameter 83 per cent of the driven one. If there is any ratio change between the input shaft and
the spindle then you need to take that into account.. Pulleys are cheap anyway. Buy one and try it--if you
don't like the speeds it gives you it's easy to move the speed range up or down with another pulley...

Once I get the dimensions - or close to the dimensions, I can start with looking for a pulley. It would be great to find one that's the correct dimensions and appropriate size. The only issue is I have to match the motor output shaft to that pulley, the key, etc. I honestly do not know if the highest speed is a 1:1, but I would presume it is. I'll have to stare at the headstock gearing to decide I suppose. One of the problems I think I'm going to encounter is the majority of the Master MK1 1/2's were apparently of the single speed variety, and not the rarer dual speed as mine was. Obviously I'm going to have to convert it to single speed so I will match the higher of the two input speeds so I have the greater (and faster) rpm spectrum. Another concern I have is the effect a clutched headstock will have on a single phase motor. If i'm not mistaken starting single phase motors with no load can cause premature winding failures. I'm no electrical savant so I need to do some research on that and see if purchasing a 3HP single phase without a capacitive start might be the better idea.

How about a 3 hp, 2 speed motor with pulley from a Clausing Colchester Student Mk 1 1/2?
I have one I'd sell, or if you want the pulley specs I can get those for you.
PM me if you're interested.

How about a 3 hp, 2 speed motor with pulley from a Clausing Colchester Student Mk 1 1/2?
I have one I'd sell, or if you want the pulley specs I can get those for you.
PM me if you're interested.

I could not have hoped for a better response.

Here's the motor for future reference.

Attachments

• IMG_4346.jpg
    IMG_4346.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4349.jpg
    IMG_4349.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 106
The 2 speed aspect would be achieved by using a 2 speed motor like maynah shows, but that is a 3ph motor. Not sure if you can get a 2 speed motor in single phase, if you can I suspect it won't be cheap, and my head hurts thinking about trying to wire it to a drum switch to get reverse too.

I've never hear of starting a 1 ph motor without a load is bad for it, but I realize I've not heard it all either.

If the ratio between the input shaft of the lathe and the spindle is 1:1

Easy to check - put it in top gear and turn the input pulley whatever turns and portions of turns it takes to make chuck turn a single turn

Back