What's new
What's new

Idle question about Pacemaker taper attachment

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
The taper attachment operating instructions on my 1946 Pacemaker include instructions for telescoping and rigid cross feed screws. The only difference in the two sets of instructions is a line added to the end of the rigid version that instructs you to tighten a set screw located in the center of one of the cross feed nut attaching bolts. My lathe has this set screw, though it has the telescoping TA (don't think I've ever seen a Pacemaker that didn't). The set screw bears on a brass rod that locks the cross feed screw.

Parts book makes no mention of a non-telescoping version of the TA. Thoughts? I feel like I'm missing something...
0282310a41f73d2909de36b214323434.jpg
35189742c1a60654bf4152937fbc08cf.jpg
3f927fc4b24be47c3bd49fc5f750dd3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My guess:

Earlier ATW lathes (High Duty) had a Tu-Way taper attachment where you could alternate between either telescopic cross feed screw type or rigid yoke type depending on what screw you tightened. The idea was to use the rigid yoke for accurate roughing, and then switch to the telescopic type to dial in finish cuts.

My interpretation is that maybe earlier Pacemakers had these taper attachments as an option, and they are talking about removing the inner set screw in E and using that as a place to screw in the clamping screw on the rigid yoke.

Back