What's new
What's new

If you can't sell a dividing head at $275...

S_W_Bausch

Diamond
It's probably the omission of the name, and poor photos.

Steelcoast has had it on at least five ebay listings.
11" Power Drive + Manual Dividing Head w/ Tailstock, Lathe Dog. | eBay

power drive manual dividing head | eBay

And it's currently on craigslist.
11" Power Drive / Manual Dividing Head w/ Tailstock, Lathe Dog.

If anyone wants it, feel free to buy it, but (at least ) send me a PM with the make/model/reputation.

That power drive input is a bit unique.

$(KGrHqZHJ!sE63Ksp8H+BOylsE(FR!~~60_3.JPG

...here is an 11" Dividing head. Has centers installed with a lathe dog, includes the tailstock. This one has a power drive as well! It has a double-sided index plate, the side showing is 38,42,46,54,58,62,66. ...

Attachments

• MysteryDividingHead.jpg
    MysteryDividingHead.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 965
This is a stretch, but the small LeBlond dividing head came in an 11 inch swing version.

Their "drive" was on the same centerline as the spindle and it used a dovetail with clamps to lock the head to the base in a horizontal or vertical orientation.

I think a see a sawcut and pinch clamp that secures the right side gear housing to the drive housing casting, but allows some adjustment for the drive gears centerlines; another LeBlond trait.

That is all the similarities I see, and they are only perceived due to the poor photo.

Mike

S_W_Bausch:

Mister honey is correct, this is standard LeBlond 11 inch dividing head. The actual swing
is 11-1/4 inches. The indexing marks on the spindle for direct indexing are very similar to
the marks used on the end of the Hendey lathe spindles when cutting multistart threads.

I keep this size head permanently installed on a No.3 Cincinnati universal miller for making
1 or 2 off gears, instead of having to set up a hobbing machine. To allow the leBlond
drive to operate with the Cincinnati gear box, I made a U joint adapter that fits in place
of the input gear on the LeBlond, works great.

To avoid the time that it takes to make a special set up for differential indexing, I made a special double sided plate that covers all of the prime numbers and special gear teeth
numbers that are required between 130 and 200 divisions. Even through this speeds up
the set up time, manually indexing numbers above 100, is a fairly tedious job.

Hendeyman

Thanks for the photo anyway, I've got the same tailstock, and have been wondering who made it, It's unusual because the vertical height of the center is adjustable by turning the allen socket, in the adjusting mechanism.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp268/ACMETHREAD/tailstock026.jpg

The bad thing is that maybe I'm still lost, Tailstock may not be original.
The tailstock looks like a quality piece, very nicely made and finished.
dave [acme thread]

I sure would be nice to have a thread showing dividing heads with photos and who made them with more info. I have always wanted a head with D1-3 mount and also a #40 nmtb mount but really don't know who made them. Most of the heads on E-Bay don't have much info and sellers don't want to get it. I have several tailstocks that I would like to ID. I'm sure others have the same problem as S W Bausch, Dave and I.

Andy

I sent a PM on this Dividing Head. I have it's mate, a LeBLond No. 1 1/2. Jim

Attachments

• P5310418.jpg
    P5310418.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 456
I sent a PM on this Dividing Head. I have it's mate, a LeBLond No. 1 1/2. Jim

Yes, he did, to me, but.....

I'm not the seller, SteelCoastTrading is, on ebay (or craigslist).

I have corresponded with Mark Stadul, the seller, and he is expecting your questions via ebay.

I took a look at your photo.....Oh My, flat belts!

Good Luck,
Steve Bausch

Thanks Steve.

Ok, I sent him a message. I have a commercial address with forklift I can have it sent too if required.

Belts everywhere at my place. :D Jim

Well I won it. Thanks to Steve for being persistent and to Mister Honey and hendeyman for the ID. Jim

Well it is here by the grace of the truck driver who kept putting the loose parts back on the pallet. Thank you whoever you are. :D

Plastic strapping not so good.

It is maybe double the weight of my Kempsmith dividing head. Things are operable and smooth with a unique way of engaging. The rust is not to bad. I will show it mounted on the LeBlond No. 1 1/2 mill on the Antique Forum when I get it cleaned up. There might not be too many LeBlond Universal No. 1 1/2 Mill and 11" LeBlond Dividing Head combinations left in the world. I've never seen another 1 1/2 and there might be three of the dividing heads. hendeyman has one and this one I have is the second one Mr. Honey(resident historian of LeBlond) has seen. The spec. sheet on the head from Mr. Honey says the mill and head go together. Together at last. JimB

The dividing head turns out to be an Oesterlein. Very similar to the LeBlond and looks interchangeable. No ID on the head just on the plate. This one has an NMTB 50 taper. The clamping bolt pattern is the give away, but both dividing heads are rare and we don't know until we can compare. It will work. Jim

Attachments

• OesDividingHead2.jpg
    OesDividingHead2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 379
  • OesterleinDividingHead.jpg
    OesterleinDividingHead.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Hi there jim b
IF you would like to part with the oesterlien dividing head set up
I would purchase it from you I have a #2 universal Oesterlien this is the only thing missing I have all the rest as in the pictures
Thanks, Jason

Just an FYI, this thread is about 7 years old... You might get a better response from clicking on his name/handle and choosing to send him an email. Another option would be to start a new WTB thread in the parts section.

Back