What's new
What's new

Index mill ID help

Mr.Green

Cast Iron
It's one of those machines missing its tag...

I believe it may be a 745?

It runs good, seems to be fairly tight, close to home, they can load, comes with a rotary table as well.

It does need a few things, but hard to call Wells an ask if I don't know what it is.

Currently, proximity and loading are my first two requirements. Lol.

Thanks.
511aa36f8c1b8073e4c33522d8af3029.jpg
9e16c048cf87cca451c95a06081152eb.jpg
472f0e9d485f7a397e37a38545df3b04.jpg
bafc86454f9ebe583eab8c62171705c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have an older Index a model 55, so I know just enough to be dangerous. You are probably right on the model. I would give them a call and get an email address to send the pics to and they will be able to ID it very quickly. They were very helpful with mine, it does have a tag on it though.

The spindle size/taper is a mystery as well. Whatever is in it, they have collets for, so they never messed with it, plus the drawbar is broken (swell)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mine is a BS9, it too had a collet adapter in it for way too long and it was a bear and then some to get it out. I bet you talk to (I think) Rick there at Index and he will know without having to look it up.

My Index 745 is stamped on the top of the left side column way with a Model number, serial number, and production date. I think mine says 1969. I can take a pic tomorrow when I get to the shop.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like yours still has the powerfeed motor on the knee. That was an original setup, they used a jackshaft setup to drive the power feed. Mine was missing so I removed and milled the housing to fit a standard electric power feed on the table.

Grab your spindle and see if it has a little bit of play. Mine has some slop in the splined shaft that drives the spindle. Thought it was something damaged, but I took the upper part of the head apart last week and figure out I guess its normal. I replaced the bearings in the electric motor as they were making some noises. New sealed bearings returned the silence.

Back