What's new
What's new

Info needed on LeBlonde Heavy Duty 21" lathe

deerefanatic

Aluminum
Hi guys, I've had my LeBlonde Heavy Duty 21" lathe for a while now. it's a flatbelt machine. Was wondering if anybody had any manuals etc on this available. Specifically, I'd like to know what the torque spec is on the bearing caps (plain bearing spindle). the bolts currently are only finger-tight. that said, spindle runout is still very good (less than .005", which may be chuck jaws..)

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me. This thing's already made me a good some of parts and money so far, so it was money well spent. Just want to take care of it!

-Matt

.005 on the spindle? OK for a wood lathe, maybe. Metal lathe should be .001 or less. Indicate the inside of the spindle nose taper to see what you actually have.

Only torque spec on the LeBlonde I have is turn bolts down until tight. Be careful using modern day torque specs on a machine without modern day bolts. Things have changed since that machine was built. Your bolts may be better than todays or worse who knows. If the caps are fitted proper and bolts are snug thats as good as it gets. if you still have run out it's time to look into the bearings or the chuck

Also, in addition to the above, the spindle clearance should be adjusted with shims, not just bolt tension. Indicate the inside of the spindle bore, to determine runout, though. Putting an indicator on a piece of work in the chuck is meaningless because there are too many variables.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll do some more checking into this. I know if I tighten the bolts down it binds the spindle so it turns hard.... So I left em how I found when I bought it (finger tight)

On a few lathes I've encountered in the past, it is common to place brass shims under the bearing caps to get the ideal clearance. I've even seen thin layers of paper being used as shims!

Back