What's new
What's new

Info needed on Milwaukee Model k

aug4you

Plastic
I have a Milwaukee Model K No.3 Plain serial 27 3305 and was wondering when it was made and if it is considered a good machine. Thanks in advance

aug4you:
Like you I have recently bought a #3 plain 1943 vintage.
Mine is currently in a 1000 pieces, doing a complete rebuild. The finish date is Feb so it can be put in service.
I found 75% of the oil passages either fully or partly clogged. Depending on your use and your capabilities i would suggest you pull the table. This will allow you to access most passages for cleaning and be able to replace the felts and wicks.
The K&T 's are fantastic machines, it amazed me when taking it apart how it was assembled.
A little complicated in some areas but everything came apart without strain, even parts un-disturbed in 60+ years.
If you have any questions about yours let me know.
Andy

:D They sure got it together first try on the K. The center spindle bearing for instance. Even in the huge #5 High Power, Cincy did not have that (yet?)

Could one of you foot this ??? pleeas

I need to crash and I can't think str8
Thanks
Phil

aug4you
This is the message that was sent:
I understand the feed stops but what about powering up in the right
direction? With the spindle reverse t handle pushed in the arbor turns
counter clockwise with it pulled out the arbor spins clockwise when
standing in front of machine is this correct?

Again, please do not reply to this email.

Powering up in the right direction (motor rotation) probably affects the column oil pump. On a K&T mill, if you do not have a stream of oil running in the window on the left face of the column, then maybe the motor is running backwards.

It is definitely not a good way to run it.

You can open column door on right, look at clutch pulley and see if motor runs it in the direction indicated on the clutch pulley. My 1939 catalog shows an arrow cast into rim of clutch pulley indicating it will turn CCW

2hl K&t

One feature I really admire is the feed safety slip clutch.. I found out about it yesterday...The engineers at K&T knew that eventually some dummy (me) would bind the feed in some direction and designed accordingly.. Mike

Hello I also have a #3 recently the oil sight on top slowed from stream to slow drip the filter is clean but has an extremely low flow and pressure into the filter housing. My question is was this machine manufactured with a chain and sprocket gear pump camz and poison and is the best way to access it by removing the rpm shift side? Your response is much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Gear pump, gear driven, under oval cover after you get the drive/clutch pulley off (which is under right side cover unless your mill is a 3E)

(looking at 2CH parts book)

Maybe you just lost your prime - the pump has to lift oil from a reservoir right over the motor

Any oil showing in lower oil sight just above left door?

3281 is a lot of 15 completed October 1941, I.E., a pre war machine

If you would like a KM manual emailed, private message me your email address

Parts are from an identical donor machine - ideally the same 3281 lot number. Even small parts from the owner of the rights will have astronomical prices - if available.

Hey there, stumbled across this thread while searching for info on our Milwaukee Model K horizontal mill. Serial number is 15-5339, can I get any info about this machine? My email is [email protected].

One thing specifically, our feed doesn't work. You have to move the dial back and forth, keep moving and hopefully the mechanisms inside the gear assembly will lock. Usually they don't, and if you're lucky enough to get it to feed, the speed is incorrect. For example, on the 1 1/2 inch per minute is actually feeding about 2 1/2" when measured with a DRO and watch.

Thanks for any help! Dan

I MustangDan I purchased a K&T with similar feed problems, when it did feed it was not the feed indicated by the dial. Someone may have taken the Feed Dial Mechanism apart or something else in the feed selection. K&T has a rather interesting way to shift gears and when you first look at the gearing you wouldn't think it will work. Getting them out of time will get the gear only part way engaged may run for a while but tends to kick out. Not having any information it took me quite a while to figure out what they were doing and to get it back in the correct sequence. Afterward the machine ran great for many years without problems. I did have to replace most of the bearings and found storing machinery outside or in an unheated building is not a good idea even if the machine was covered with grease! Condensate forms on the inside! When I took the machine apart to fix the feed, I noticed most of the bearings were rusted on the bottom side only, bearing in vertical shafts were in perfect condition.
Frank

Back