"ITs A Baby" Axelson lathe - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think your machine was special ordered with 5HP. I have never seen one with less than 10HP. They usually have 15 which is pretty standard for your run of the mill HD 16-20" engine lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have only found one photo of an early machine like this, it had the 5hp motor also.
    Maybe, they added the pin locking headstock shifters, when they offered more hp, saying the earlier machines can walk out of gear under heavy cut in the later manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Donie
    Perhaps I missed it, but what made you decide on an Axelson instead of getting a Monarch 612, 60/61, Series 70 or similar to match your 10EEs?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought similar Lend Lease Axelsons from the RAAF,Amberley.....paid about $1500 each ,IIRC.......very difficult to sell ,due to lack of gap ,short centres for such a big machine......yes ,heavy and well made ,but not versatile .......Incidentally Cunos are just strainers ,gaps in the plates are somewhat like .005",I would much rather have a disposable spin on as well ....the plate filters only remove gross particles like gear chips ,and leave the wear sludge to build up.......Useful as a fuel filter/strainer as they are so easy to clear a block ,but in a diesel much finer filtration is essential.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reason I bought the machine is condition, and price. Also, it fits size wise, if I wanted an everything machine, I would have bought a Smithy.
    The machine as old as it is, is in remarkable condition, I will keep the Cuno filter, there is also one on the Morris radial drill.
    Last edited by texasgunsmith; 09-18-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The other brand machines I was looking at, American Pacemaker and Monarch non hydraulic models, appeared to be in worse condition then this Axelson.
    The higher speed of 1127 vrs 800 on the Monarch model 60, was a factor also.
    I have mentioned the large gear end train area, and having the idle gear being a conversion gear for leads and metric threads is a plus, if you work with those.
    Looking close at this Axelson, it appears it has cut very few screw threads, I was lucky there.
    I feel I have a need for a compact, but powerful home shop, with a #2 mill, small 3ft radial drill, small Axelson lathe for just a little muscle, to remove metal.

7. Likes Colt45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    The filters are expensive, one member here did this conversion,

I discovered there is a Cuno on the Morris radial drill also. Apparently the filters "stack of thin metal disk" can be damaged easily, such as dropping it. Cleaning is described as disassembling and cleaning the disks individually.
    Nowhere to go except forward, I will try to stay with the Cuno filters if they are in good shape.
    I've been thinking about doing that to my lathe due to the crappy mesh filter doing basically nothing and the headstock being full of gunk. Do you guys think the pump could handle the pressure increase just fine? Is that even a worry with automotive full-slow filters? Sidney, not an Axelson, but should be comparable.
    Last edited by texasgunsmith; 09-18-2020 at 08:52 PM.

9. Likes mister honey, svs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Changing the filter, can effect braking, as the brake is controlled by oil pressure, the gear pump picks up oil directly from the sump, pushes through the filter, then to the rotating brake valve, below the clutch lever top of headstock.
    I want to put the machine through some paces, and get a feel for it, befor making any changes.
    Last edited by texasgunsmith; 09-18-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find it interested the name plate telling you how to adjust the clutches originated from Rockford Drill Company. The many time I've had that cover off to adjust the forward clutch, I've never notice that on the name plate. Always used a 1/8" blade screwdriver to push back the plate and carefully move it by one notch at a time. Ken

Edit: I HAVE RUN A 60" Niles Boring lathe back in my earlier years. And I wonder why I have back problems and arthritis today!!!

12. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The later Axelson lathes used the Racine Shipper clutch, So did the the Lodge & Shipley Powerturn, except for, the Powerturn uses the other end of the clutch for the brake. To reverse the Powerturn, the motor has to stop, then the motor reversed. It would be bad news to plug reverse a Powerturn, the safety will not let that happen. The Axelson, I have yet to explore its ability to quickly reverse the spindle, as may be helpful for some threading and cutting leads operations

14. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, you can shift the spindle from forward to reverse on the fly. I wouldn't recommend it even though I've done it a time or two not watching what I was doing. Kind of puts a strain on the electrical system when done!!! That locked rotor current kind of pegs out the electric meter!!! At least in dad's shop it would.

Edit: It don't lock or stop the motor from rotating, but it does put a strain on the motor and those gears on that shaft. Remember, replacement parts are not easily available now days. Especially when Archie Lawrence is getting out of the business. Wonder if they have had that auction yet?
    Last edited by 4GSR; 09-13-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post
    [snip]
    I find it interested the name plate telling you how to adjust the clutches originated from Rockford Drill Company. The many time I've had that cover off to adjust the forward clutch, I've never notice that on the name plate. Always used a 1/8" blade screwdriver to push back the plate and carefully move it by one notch at a time. Ken

Edit: I HAVE RUN A 60" Niles Boring lathe back in my earlier years. And I wonder why I have back problems and arthritis today!!!
    I find it interesting that you've had to adjust the clutch many times. I guess they were a high wear item?

When I went through the clutch on the worn out Sidney I'm restoring, the friction plates were entirely unworn. Couldn't even catch a fingernail on them. I'm guessing the Axelson clutch uses a rather small disc being inside the headstock, leading to faster wear?

Also, that tailstock... Why can't they all be that way?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cranium View Post
    Any chance we can get the pictures of the lathe back up?
    Also FWIW in the future, Imgur hot linked photos will disappear. I host locally on the forum, but they do tend to destroy image quality.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I seem to recall you wanted to change thread title to Axelson 14x30, or 16x30 for people to find easier on a search. If you post that title or pm it to me, I'll change it and delete my post here to clean it up.

Good luck with the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Sir!
    Yes indeed! I being a person that does intense research into machines as can be seen what I have done with the Monarch ee lathe. The photos I take anyway, because I have to work on multiple complcated projects, the photos are a tool I was glad to share, but I have to re think that.
    There is always alot to do, so I do move quickly.
    I have gathered about all the information, I can find on my own regarding the Axelson heavy duty engine lathe, and of course having one in front of you is a big piece of the puzzle, since not that many were made , about half as many as the Monarch 10ee.

Thanks! And, that will be 2035! ,
    Last edited by texasgunsmith; 09-20-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ClappedOutBport View Post
    I find it interesting that you've had to adjust the clutch many times. I guess they were a high wear item?

We only made that adjustment about every year and a half or so. But you have to remember, at that time we were cutting a lot of 4140-4145 Heat treated steel, most had a hardness around 320-350 BHN, that's tough! On hogging, .250" depth of cut at 015" feed rate was common, length of cuts 6 to 16" in one pass. Nice blue 6 and 9 chips! That's what puts the wear on the clutches. I think for a 16" lathe that is pretty darn good, too! Sure miss that lathe! Oh well, I'm too crippled up and getting old to run those old iron hoggers now days. I'll stick to my 14" Rockwell lathe. Not so hard on my body.