What's new
What's new

James & Lameson turret lathes.

Miguels244

Diamond
These seem to be orphans but look like solid tools.
Are they just heavy? Or accurate too.

Just curious, these tools look like they did a lot of good work...why are they disappearing?

They're the basic equivalent of Warner Swasey turret lathes, but better since they were invented and made here in Vermont. ;) There are still quite a few of them around (a few older examples are at the American Precision Museum) and they can often be had for the shipping, sometimes with tooling.

It's Jones and Lamson, BTW, or in the local parlance, Jake and Louie.

Disappearing because of CNC....

I had a 1943 8A-5 with a barfeeder.

It was set up to spade drill, tap and part off 3" nuts from 5" 4140 bar.

I couldn't find any faults with it. If it was an engine lathe I would have never let it go.

Nice machine and tooled it will pace a CNC on the right job.
Versatile with the turret and two tool posts can be mounted on the topslide.
Controls are an easy reach and a soft detent engagement.
John

Last edited:
I'm having a really hard time finding dimensional data on this machine.
Swing, bore, overall size, weight...

One on auction had this description. Found on Google Advanced Search with Jones & Lamsom #5 for a search phrase

S/N: 63521; 20" Swing Over Bed; 12" Swing Over Cross Slide Compound; 3" Spindle Hole; 20-1,000 RPM; spindle Speeds;

I doubt it weighs more than 6500 and and likely less than 10 feet long. They were in direct competition with the W&S #5 which was similar as to weight and capacity

The 63521 serial is from 1942

Like most all other machine tools, you have to take into consideration age - like the 1934 W&S #5 was but 4600, and had a threaded spindle nose still. :D

I ran one a couple of times.

The spindle speed shifter lever is nice to operate.

IIRC 50 -1500 rpm just by sliding the lever around, and pushing
it in. No 2 speed ranges, no extra levers to reach for.

The patent IIRC is from 1938, and is kind of unique.

Ha!, I was actually about to head down and snag it too. The guy was going to let it go for $950-- still probably high. He called me right before I was heading down and said a guy bought it for $1500 just then. It's now back on CL for $4500... People can dream I reckon

On and off for the past few years I've been hoping to find a J&L #5-4 1/2. It's a hot and cold thing. Last night the heat was up and I was searching around to see a very old machine shop had that lathe with the bar feeder sold through auction. It looked as if the shop had closed and was selling off everything. Their webpage is still current, so I called and they said they just decided to sell off a few items. That is the lathe I am looking for, too bad it happened during a cold spell in my desire to own a turret lathe. I guess what has turned up the heat for me on the J&L is I have a project to make 368 simple pieces for my excavator tracks. A turret lathe would be nice. Since I am fixated on New England built tools the J&L is the lathe for me. I've seen a couple #5-3, but if I am looking, I think the 4 1/2" spindle bore would be better. I've seen a #7 and also a #10. But, the #5 is probably as much as I'd ever need. The #10 with a 40 hp motor sounds like some serious stuff.
Anyway, if anyone knows of a decent #5-4 1/2 for sale, please let me know.

thanks,
Mark
[email protected]

Back