Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jones & Lamson turret lathe 5 or 7

Hey guys,

For quite a while I've had the interest in finding a turret lathe and tend to prefer the J&L over any other brands....probably a New England thing. Anyway, I am on the fence of either a #5 or a #7. The 5 is a ram type and the 7is a saddle type. I see the differences in design, but are unsure what difference it actually makes between the two styles. Is one more or less versatile than the other?
    Any remarks on one versus the other?

Why do I want a turret lathe? I don't really know. I love machinery and just think these are really neat. It's not for the purpose of making profit. But, it would be fun to set up and use on some projects.

thanks,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

unsure what difference it actually makes between the two styles
    7 is heavy duty (no ram to wave around) and 5 isn't

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In simple terms the ram machines were commonly used for bar work and the saddle machines more for chucking work. Some bar machines were set up with master collets and bar feeders for production. Some of the saddle machines had the added feature of a cross sliding turret for more versatility. Saddle machines were generally larger and heavier to accomadate bigger work (Warner Swasey A types or Gisholt L types). A key to getting the most out of these machines is proper tooling. Without it the possibilities are limited. Try to get all the tooling with the machine.