What's new
What's new

Just bought a Cincinnati mindset grinder

Servicar rider

Cast Iron
I just picked up this monoset, serial #2d105R-38. It was from the estate of a deceased friend. It needs the usual cleaning and maintenance and some new parts. Do you have any recommendations on where to get parts? I have most of the large collets, but would like to find the small collets, the small collet holder, and the big collet closer nut? I have been shopping eBay, and other than manuals the parts are sort of spendy?
Thanks

I just picked up this monoset, serial #2d105R-38. It was from the estate of a deceased friend. It needs the usual cleaning and maintenance and some new parts. Do you have any recommendations on where to get parts? I have most of the large collets, but would like to find the small collets, the small collet holder, and the big collet closer nut? I have been shopping eBay, and other than manuals the parts are sort of spendy?
Thanks

Triple R Systems in Walker Minnesota has everything for Monosets. You will be looking for the missing bits for years or just spend the bucks and get what you need.

I have looked at the Triple R website, but they have no prices listed? The former owner was an accomplished packrat and every nook & crannies of his shop was stuffed full of stuff. The family is supposed to be on the lookout when they clean up the mess, so for now I am hoping more stuff shows up, but I am also planning for when I need to find stuff later? The way the machine was buried in the mess it has been some time since it was used last.

I have looked at the Triple R website, but they have no prices listed? The former owner was an accomplished packrat and every nook & crannies of his shop was stuffed full of stuff. The family is supposed to be on the lookout when they clean up the mess, so for now I am hoping more stuff shows up, but I am also planning for when I need to find stuff later? The way the machine was buried in the mess it has been some time since it was used last.

I would visit regularly, don't take a chance on the stuff getting pitched in the dumpster. I, like a dumbass as it was cheap bought a bare machine. I can always buy what I need. Not so much, It's been 10 years now and I'm still looking for bits.

I was thinking of mounting a Chuck on it anyway, so I like that idea. This afternoon I found a nut for the workhead, so I can use the big collets, and I was thinking of buying a set of ER collets with a straight shank holder for the small sizes. The problem with visiting often, is the location where the grinder was at is 600 miles from where I live. I told the guy in charge of getting the shop cleaned out I would send him pictures of what I am looking for, and he said if he sees something that looks like it might be for this machine he will put it aside. Unfortunately, he is not a machinist and not familiar with machine tools.
Anybody have a clue how old this is based on the serial #?

Buying all the collets and then only using a few is a problem, that is where the chuck is handy. You can grind the chuck jaws dead-on with the Mono's own spindle. migte even mount the chuck to a face plate with having an adjust/true feature.
Good to mark a line up mark on any thing you grind into true so a half turn or so won't make you off the next time you use it.

operators manual
http://www.sterlingmachinery.com/me...-monoset-cutter-and-tool-grinder-brochure.pdf

The 2d105R-38.is probably a 2D1C5R - 38 . Its a monoset cutter and tool grinder mill, model OE built in 1965; Just google on line, parts are out there. If you have part numbers, i have prints. Need a part number..

Good luck,
Mike.

Thanks for the info. I have a copy of the parts book, so I have the part numbers and prints. That brochure was helpful too, I had not seen that before. Pictures of some of the missing accessories means a lot. When I build a Chuck mount I will make it the adjust true style. I have done that with lathe chucks before. I am also considering making the internal grinding attachment too?

Thanks for the info. I have a copy of the parts book, so I have the part numbers and prints. That brochure was helpful too, I had not seen that before. Pictures of some of the missing accessories means a lot. When I build a Chuck mount I will make it the adjust true style. I have done that with lathe chucks before. I am also considering making the internal grinding attachment too?

Chuck mount: Think about the cutter shank being long as with a reamer (or the like) so the chuck mount needs to have hollow tube design. If collet held mark the collet and the chuck tube for radial location, grind the jaws, then always line up the marks when using.

Also down load the Cincinnati # 2TC grinder manual as it gives a lot of cutting tool information one can use with any TC grinder.
Note a corner clearance need have radial and axial clearance. (not just one or the other) that is in the Cinci #2 book.

Cmike, you are correct on the serial# it is a C instead of a 0 like I thought! Good catch! It kind of dark where it's stored right now and the stamping are not very deep, my mistake. Do your prints have dimentions? Or are they like the parts book with drawings?

Michiganbuck, I like your ideas for the Chuck mount. I downloaded the #2 manual awhile back because of the reasons you cited, and also to see how the machines compared and what parts looked interchangeable.

I am sure this will turn into a huge project before it is done. Thanks for all the replies so far

I looked at the Triple R website again last night. I had not looked at it since before I picked up the machine. They have the stuff I am missing. The question is whether they are so overpriced that I will make it myself or not? In the past I have dealt with bourn&Koch and LeBlond inc and their stuff was so stupidly overpriced that I passed. I remember telling the guy at LeBlond after hearing that simple leveling screws were $138 each (and you can't get them ANYWHERE else!") No thanks, I think I'll use my LeBlond lathe and make my own.

Back