What's new
What's new

Just got a Cincinnati!

GrantA

Aluminum
No 4 Vertical, 1943 looks to be in excellent shape, I haven't seen it in person yet but my dad did. Can't wait to get this beast (a)home and (b!)into a spot where I can power it up and make chips! That may be a little while but I couldn't pass her up.
Had to share!
IMG_2957.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 9.12.45 AM.jpg

Has the rotary table drive - nice hard to find stuff. They made POWER 24" rotary tables for it

So - 2A serial or 4A? The former tops at 450 and the latter at 1500

John I didn't know either of those things! I was a little hesitant of a low spindle speed but it's a 4a, so you're telling me it's a 1500rpm spindle? Sweet! I wondered about the rotary drive, that makes sense now I've just never seen one
Serial is 4A4VIL-167
It has a Dept of Navy badge, I'd love to trace the history if possible!

so you're telling me it's a 1500rpm spindle?

Unless I screwed up:D

Yes... if everything is just so in column and sliding head

Certain things don't work at all if oil pressure setting is OFF kilter

Here is Parts / Service book from VM

Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. - Publication Reprints - Cincinnati Nos. 1-2-3-4 Dial Type Milling Machine Service and Parts Manual | VintageMachinery.org

If you are tempted to talk about "CAT" tapers around it, it won't have the least idea of what the dickens you're talking about - being no such thing when it was born. It has NMTB 50 taper in the spindle, and you will need a step ladder to deal with the draw bar.

The 1L in the serial says1942

Look for and acquire the hard bound 1950s version of A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines by them

That is some great cast iron. I know of a couple of horizontal's of similar size that still work daily squaring up blocks in a shop that builds trim dies. Still holding close tolerances.

Has the rotary table drive - nice hard to find stuff. They made POWER 24" rotary tables for it

So - 2A serial or 4A? The former tops at 450 and the latter at 1500
JOHN! T H A N K S for telling me that, look what turned up!
IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg

You will need a crane just for the rotary!
Nice piece of iron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JOHN! T H A N K S for telling me that, look what turned up!
You may want to see if the rest of the drive shaft is on that pallet or with the end-of-table drive on the mill itself. I don't know for certain, but I think there is a splined shaft so you can put this rotary any place (within reason) on the table

You may want to see if the rest of the drive shaft is on that pallet or with the end-of-table drive on the mill itself. I don't know for certain, but I think there is a splined shaft so you can put this rotary any place (within reason) on the table
He said something is missing, I'll dig through the manual you linked to and see if I can figure out what it looks like!
It gets better too he found a box of collets/etc (called them bits, who knows!) I'm sooo stoked

This book says "Use this catalog only for machines in which the third numeral and letter of the serial number are 2H or lower"
Myserial is 4A4VIL-167, which seems to be higher? Unless the letters ran up to z before adding a digit to the number? Am I making sense?

The 1L in the serial says1942
sorry my bad I meant to type 42

Look for and acquire the hard bound 1950s version of A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines by them
OK I have looked, I can download a digital copy for free it seems, there are current reproductions on amazon for about $13, is the 50s version particularly better??

OK I have looked, I can download a digital copy for free it seems, there are current reproductions on amazon for about $13, is the 50s version particularly better??
The fifties version isn't covering antique machines:D

This book says "Use this catalog only for machines in which the third numeral and letter of the serial number are 2H or lower"

Makes no sense to me - the date code after 1933 was 1 and a letter, not 2 and a letter:D

Thanks again John, yeah I'm not sure, I'll see it myself Saturday. I'm hoping it's in with the tooling.

No specific work for it yet but I will be putting it to use soon. I'm going to research putting cnc controls on it, not sure yet. If the existing power feeds are dc stepper motors that seems like the thing to do. I may be way off base here though.

That settles that then! A machinist friend of mine planted that cnc notion in my head, I was skeptical, accurately I see! Hard for me to think back past 35 years, I'm just a youngun learning the craft along the way!

Back