What's new
What's new

K-T 205 S-12 feed motor/ spindle start issue

J Henricksen

Stainless
A neighbor just got this vertical mill. It has had a feed issue for years so we're told.
The spindle works as it should, the feed works as it should, until the spindle is turned on. When the spindle starts, the feed motor turns off. We have the electricals for this machine but just cant see where this is getting mixed up.
Anyone have a similar machine and some ideas where to look?

Still investigating the induction machine, no solution there yet.

Has this machine ever had the voltage changed? There might be a transformer to power the coils in the magnetic contactor. I had this happen on a machine a few years ago. Wired from 460 to 230, transformer was never retapped, so control voltage went from 115 to 57, wouldn't function well.

I am in Rockton, PM me if you are still stuck.

Update on our research project...
We have the mill running with all feeds working. There is an overload that kicks out the feed motor that looks like a solenoid powered by 2T1, one of the feed motor power leads.
It has a manual adjusting slug to set the amperage it will drop out at. This breaks the latch for the feed motor contactor, (wire 17 & 19) We have it jumpered at the moment to get us running. Now we'll try resetting the slug in the overload.
Feed motor does not have multi leads to reconnect to low voltage. The machine is set up on a 240/480 transformer.

Back