What's new
What's new

K&T 205 SA cleanup

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Just starting to cleanup a 1965 K&T 205 SA horizontal.

So far I've drained the knee and column and refilled with kerosene.

A few questions:

- machine's sight glasses on column and knee are very dark/dirty on the inside faces. It isn't obvious how to non-destructively clean them. At least the knee I may be able to reach from the oil fill hole. I suppose I could remove the speed gearbox from the column to get at the two sight glasses there... but hopefully there's an easier way.

- saddle lubrication. It's unclear whether the saddle has been lubricated properly lately, the machine has 50 years of dried on cutting oil. What I can't tell without disassembly is whether there are bijur lubrication meters in the saddle? Or was the oil fed straight from the knee pump through the lubrication line without any meter units? If there are meter units they will certainly be clogged. I do see some copper lines running to the leadscrew nut, so I assume there are bijur meters somewhere.

I ordered a 1/8" NPT hydraulic hose to replace the existing connection from knee to saddle, that looks like the right thread size.

I have all the manuals, but unfortunately the lubrication system for the saddle isn't well described.

Pulled the table.

k&t saddle.jpg

no scoring, which is good. Flaking worn off the ends of the saddle. Grease gun filled with oil forces lubrication through some of the lines, will have to check them all to see whether any fittings need to be replaced.

Looks like oil leaks from the speed gearbox seams, so that'll have to be pulled off anyway and re-sealed, so that gives the opportunity to address the oil sight glasses.

Back