What's new
What's new

K&T 205 sa coolant gear pump seal?

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,
Servicing the coolant gear pump on a 205sa mill.

The drive gear has a worn rubber seal which I can’t seem to identify a replacement. The parts manual only shows the bronze bushing, no seal, but mine has an all rubber, fairly flexible u-cup type seal.

1.25” OD, .750” ID, about .290” tall.

Pictures of pump housing, drive gear, and seal removed and in place.

159C9977-364D-475A-8FDC-FB1649826672.jpg97E6C234-4C20-4DE7-95F2-518EDBC6CF7D.jpg2F3D406B-A206-4C63-959A-2A1E97D38111.jpg

The bushing is bronze or brass, with what seems to be a drain port back to tank. So it seems as if the intent is for some cutting oil lubricant to bypass the seal, lubricate the shaft in the bushing, and then drain back to the coolant tank.

So the u-cup seal should be pretty flexible and low friction it seems, a very restrictive seal might prevent the shaft and bushing to be lubricated.

It seems like most of these pumps only had the bushing, maybe depending on only that and the drainage path to avoid leakage?

I tried one seal from McMaster, the only one they have which is all rubber and 1.25x.75”, it was far too hard (90 durometer) and too tight on the shaft, I was worried it would starve the bushing and shaft of lubricant.

Thanks,
Phil

The direction of seal tells me fluid is meant to be kept gear side.

Weep hole is most likely a "failure" weep hole, not a lube weep point imo. If seal fails the fluid can get out, basically. Instead of shaft rust bonding to bushing to become one forever :D.

You may not have a lube point originally installed on the bushing. Bronze 932 for example has lead in its mixture which allows it to survive longer with low or no lube after the fact. Though it was no doubt assembled with lube. I might "fix" that myself by drilling a passage externally and through the bushing. Add a gits or a pipe plug that you can shoot lube into from time to time.

I'd most likely install that seal you picked up to keep coolant contained in the pump.

Hi,
Servicing the coolant gear pump on a 205sa mill.

The drive gear has a worn rubber seal which I can’t seem to identify a replacement. The parts manual only shows the bronze bushing, no seal, but mine has an all rubber, fairly flexible u-cup type seal.

1.25” OD, .750” ID, about .290” tall.

Pictures of pump housing, drive gear, and seal removed and in place.

View attachment 338750View attachment 338751View attachment 338752

The bushing is bronze or brass, with what seems to be a drain port back to tank. So it seems as if the intent is for some cutting oil lubricant to bypass the seal, lubricate the shaft in the bushing, and then drain back to the coolant tank.

So the u-cup seal should be pretty flexible and low friction it seems, a very restrictive seal might prevent the shaft and bushing to be lubricated.

It seems like most of these pumps only had the bushing, maybe depending on only that and the drainage path to avoid leakage?

I tried one seal from McMaster, the only one they have which is all rubber and 1.25x.75”, it was far too hard (90 durometer) and too tight on the shaft, I was worried it would starve the bushing and shaft of lubricant.

Thanks,
Phil

We rebuilt our K&T mill a few years back and I recall the only thing on the drive through the housing was the Iron oilite bearing, if there was a seal ours didn't have it.

We rebuilt our K&T mill a few years back and I recall the only thing on the drive through the housing was the Iron oilite bearing, if there was a seal ours didn't have it.

Thanks. I was surprised to find a seal too, even the parts manual for the machine (which came with it in 1965) doesn’t show a seal… just the bushing/bearing.

I found a 70 durometer low friction u-cup seal at grainger which I’ll try.

Phil

Thanks. I was surprised to find a seal too, even the parts manual for the machine (which came with it in 1965) doesn’t show a seal… just the bushing/bearing.

I found a 70 durometer low friction u-cup seal at grainger which I’ll try.

Phil

To close this out, in case anyone else ever runs into this and searches threads...

I found an equivalent seal, RT Dygert part 2HZU7. Grainger sells them. GRAINGER APPROVED U-Cup':' 0.75 in Inside Dia., 1.25 in Outside Dia., For 0.281 in Groove Wd, Buna N - 2HZU7'|'2HZU7 - Grainger

The seal is all rubber, flexible and soft like the original.

I bored out the idler gear by .016" to a clean ID, and turned a replacement idler shaft from 932 bronze to fit the bore, and a press fit into the pump body.

The bottom plate had scoring from the gears, so I surface ground that, removing about .011" to clean it up. That results in the gear faces having about .004" clearance, which seems good.

Haven’t run it yet, It’ll be a while but I’ll report back when I do… sump to clean, saddle currently off the machine, etc.

Back