What's new
What's new

K&T 2CHL Universal, How to Swivel the Table

Don Kinzer

Cast Iron
I finally got around to using the K&T 2CHL (that I bought about a year ago) to make some chips. Before starting, I wanted to check the alignment of the universal table with respect to the knee ways. The scale read 0 but I wanted to check anyway. I did this by putting 1-2-3 blocks between the table and the knee way on either side (supported by some scrap wood) and then carefully moving the table toward the column. When slight resistance was detected, I checked the ability to move the blocks and one was somewhat difficult to move and the other one was just a bit easier to move. From the feel, I'd guess that the difference might be a thousandth or two at the most.

I looked through the Operator's Manual that I have for it (which covers the 2CHL Universal) but there was no mention of how to swivel the table. Looking under the table, I found four hex head bolts (two on either side of the knee) that appear to be in a position that might serve as a clamp on the swivel. They were very tight - one moved slightly with significant torque and the others not at all. I didn't want to force them due to not knowing what they are actually for. I've attached a photo of the left side of the knee with two hex heads circled in yellow.

K&T 2CHL table.jpg

So, the question is ... how does one go about loosening the table to swivel it to a new position and then re-clamping it?

Also, is there a better way to assess perpendicularity of the table with respect to the column? My first thought was to mount a dial indicator on the column with the plunger riding on the back of the table but I concluded that it wouldn't show any difference as the table moved. My next thought was to measure the spacing between the knee way and the table on either side but chose, instead, to use the 1-2-3 blocks and check the "feel".

Edit: I should have mentioned that this is a horizontal mill.

Loosen the four hex head screws in your picture and swivel the table.. Tighten the four hex head screws when you want to fasten in place.. Looks just like the 2hl that I have which I have swiveled several times when I cut helical gears...Those four are screws with tapered bodies which engage clamps under the table.. I know because I had to make two of them for my machine to replace broken ones.. Ramsay 1:)

If I understand your question you're looking to check the alignment of the column to the table ?

The accepted method is to swing trammel from the spindle to the table tee slots. Normally the centre slot is the master slot. If you haven't got the slot stops and a straight edge you could trammel the edge of the table. The bigger the swing the more accurate will be your reading.

Regards Tyrone.

Last week I had to extend the splines of a LL aux. shaft for my 2CHL. I’ve always indicated from the spindle, to the table slot I’m working from.

I indicated the shaft parallel between the TS & super spacer from the spindle. For the heck of it, I double checked from the knee column to the back side of the table. Then indicated from the spindle, to the back side of the table. There was only .001” difference the entire length when indicating from all three spots. Obviously each machine might be different but it’s close enough for me. :D

Andy

Attachments

• 3716F57C-F77E-4D12-88D8-B521327DFDA0.jpg
    3716F57C-F77E-4D12-88D8-B521327DFDA0.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 59A94DE5-5D23-4182-97A2-53A884037D65.jpg
    59A94DE5-5D23-4182-97A2-53A884037D65.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 102

Back