K&T 2D help
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: K&T 2D help

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default K&T 2D help

    Hello all-

    New to the forum, but I've gathered so much helpful information as it's always a top hit on google searches. So thank you for that!

    Yesterday I took possession of a 2D mill. It's in real good shape, but I need some help with it. Some very basic help. I'm actually a little embarrassed.

    There's an end mill set in a collet and I can't figure out how to release the collet. I've read the manual but still can't seem to figure it out.

    There is a ring with 4 holes and a screw above the collet, I'm assuming this is the quick change nut referred to in the parts diagram.

    It looks as if it would utilize a spanner wrench to spin and release the collet. There is a piece broke off in one of the holes, and the mill came with no such spanner wrench if that is indeed how you release the collet. I have been unsuccessful in turning this ring so far.

    Can someone confirm that this is how it's done?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Yes sr. U need a spanner wrench to losen the collet then the but up on top is ur draw bar it will release the collet

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    31,372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Make or buy a spanner

    You may have 30 collets holding end mills or you may have adaptors in the 30 spindle that hold 20 collets with end mils - these fall out thru the closing nut - and have smaller yet closure nuts on the holder

    Two entirely differing closure nuts for above two systems

    NO DRAW BAR ON ABOVE

    Push pin in on belt guard to hold spindle still

    OR

    You might have OTHER collet systems
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_0218.jpg   dcp_0219.jpg   dcp_0220.jpg   dcp_0221.jpg  

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Yes sr. U need a spanner wrench to losen the collet then the but up on top is ur draw bar it will release the collet
    Which way does the ring spin? How tight should this be? Looks like I'll have to build a wrench tomorrow. Thank you for the help!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    here are some pics








    Here's the machine.


  6. Likes adh2000, Timbosama, tfuquajr, Sensory_Labs liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    468
    Likes (Received)
    605

    Default

    Very nice. A late model with power up/down on the knee. I don't think that collet system is original to the machine.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default

    Actually that is the original collet system to the machine. I think thats the best taper to get if you get a 2d if i remember. I think its because collets are easy to obtain since bridgeport had a head take b3 collets.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    468
    Likes (Received)
    605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chknives View Post
    Actually that is the original collet system to the machine. I think thats the best taper to get if you get a 2d if i remember. I think its because collets are easy to obtain since bridgeport had a head take b3 collets.
    Interesting. I have only seen the 20 and 30 double angle collets shown in John's post. Don't think I've ever seen a b3 collet, looks like a cool set up.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Too bad the mill isn't running, I sure could use this fancy pants rotary head to make a spanner wrench! Thanks for all the help so far. I'll build the wrench today and see if I can get this thing broke free.

    Looks like you can still find B3. Hell there are even some on Amazon. Expensive but available. The mill came with several collets. I haven't inventoried everything yet.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Texas USA
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    22

    Default

    The collet in your first picture looks like it has B-3 stamped into it, and your spindle nose looks completely different from mine, so I'm going to vote with Chknives that yours is a B3 machine. All of the manuals and parts guides I've seen only provide info for the K&T 30 taper spindles that use the collets John showed above, so the manual you're looking at might not show pictures and parts for what you actually have.

    That being said, on the K&T 30 taper spindles there is a spindle lock lever in the front pulley support shown in your second picture. It needs to be engaged in order to break the collet closer nut loose. I would think that the B3 machines are the same.

    On the "regular" spindle machines, I'm pretty sure the closer nut has standard righty-tighty, lefty-loosey threads. I can check tonight.

    As a side question, do you know when yours was built?

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    It does have the spindle lock, I was able to locate that right away.

    I believe the machine is a 1964 machine but not positive. As the story goes, it was originally purchased by Gates Rubber company in Denver Colorado. Apparently, Gates painted all of their machining equipment this turquoise color.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    31,372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As a side question, do you know when yours was built?
    The serial on my '68 was on back at start of curve above electrical enclosure

    X-XXXX or XX-XXXX format

    Here is the place to date it with the four digit portion of the serial number

    K&T Lot Numbers

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    165
    Likes (Received)
    305

    Default

    Nice mill. I have one too and it's my go to machine for just about everything. I'd send my BP packing before I let my 2D go. Mine uses the impossible to find #20 & #30 collets. Did you find the spindle lock? If you didn't, when your standing in front of the mill, there's a little pin at the 5:25 position. Move the pin and rotate the spindle and it will engage. Don't forget to unlock it, you'll blow the overloads/fuses if you forget. It looks like a standard drawbar and collet system from here. Did you get any other attachments with it?

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Shop View Post
    Nice mill. I have one too and it's my go to machine for just about everything. I'd send my BP packing before I let my 2D go. Mine uses the impossible to find #20 & #30 collets. Did you find the spindle lock? If you didn't, when your standing in front of the mill, there's a little pin at the 5:25 position. Move the pin and rotate the spindle and it will engage. Don't forget to unlock it, you'll blow the overloads/fuses if you forget. It looks like a standard drawbar and collet system from here. Did you get any other attachments with it?
    I did. I got the right angle attachment, cherrying attachment and a few other items. I'll post some pics of everything that came with it.

    Thank you!

    I'm still looking for a bridgeport or some other heavier duty mill to add to the shop, but this mill was too pretty to pass up. Finding machining equipment around here is tough. This one came from Colorado.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    The serial on my '68 was on back at start of curve above electrical enclosure

    X-XXXX or XX-XXXX format

    Here is the place to date it with the four digit portion of the serial number

    K&T Lot Numbers
    Serial no 3/9655
    Sept 1964 to Jan 1965
    12 2D machines

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Here is everything that came with it. Please excuse the control panel, that goes to my Leblond.



    I don't know what the items on the right are.

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    165
    Likes (Received)
    305

    Default

    You've got 2 sets of stops on right. You'll set those to an angle when using the rotary. It will feed until it "trips", then flip the rotary feed lever and it goes to the other way, to the other preset angle. They come in really handy. I'm not sure about the other 2 brackets.

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    port allen, louisiana usa
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    513
    Likes (Received)
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtechgunman View Post
    Hello all-

    New to the forum, but I've gathered so much helpful information as it's always a top hit on google searches. So thank you for that!

    Yesterday I took possession of a 2D mill. It's in real good shape, but I need some help with it. Some very basic help. I'm actually a little embarrassed.

    There's an end mill set in a collet and I can't figure out how to release the collet. I've read the manual but still can't seem to figure it out.

    There is a ring with 4 holes and a screw above the collet, I'm assuming this is the quick change nut referred to in the parts diagram.

    It looks as if it would utilize a spanner wrench to spin and release the collet. There is a piece broke off in one of the holes, and the mill came with no such spanner wrench if that is indeed how you release the collet. I have been unsuccessful in turning this ring so far.

    Can someone confirm that this is how it's done?
    You, Sir, have one of the models with B3 spindle unless of course yours has been modified to R8 such as mine.. Looks like the smaller B3 collets illustrated in this brochure from 9/43...You loosen the collet just as in a J head Bridgeport(there is a spindle lock underneath the top cover on the left side with rotary head set at zero) then smack the drawbar with a lead mallet and the collet will loosen and can be removed...Be sure to unlock the spindle when you are ready to mill...Cheers Ramsay 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img.jpg   img_0001.jpg  

  20. Likes mtechgunman liked this post
  21. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    port allen, louisiana usa
    Posts
    1,814
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    513
    Likes (Received)
    434

    Default

    Items on the right are trip dogs for the periphery of the rotary head (far right) and for either a 12 or 16 inch rotary table as the 2d will accept both sizes under power by rotating the drive bushing in the power feed bracket on the right hand side of the table...Appears as though you may have some of the stop dogs for the cherrying attachment on the right as well.. These items are often missing..Ramsay 1

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsay1 View Post
    You, Sir, have one of the models with B3 spindle unless of course yours has been modified to R8 such as mine.. Looks like the smaller B3 collets illustrated in this brochure from 9/43...You loosen the collet just as in a J head Bridgeport(there is a spindle lock underneath the top cover on the left side with rotary head set at zero) then smack the drawbar with a lead mallet and the collet will loosen and can be removed...Be sure to unlock the spindle when you are ready to mill...Cheers Ramsay 1
    Awesome! Thank you very much!

    Building spanner wrench now....


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •