What's new
What's new

K & T 2H horizontal Universal mill for sale

hawkfan9

Hot Rolled
Hope it's ok to post this here.

Sad day. Selling my pride and joy......moving at the end of the year.

1942 Kearney and Trecker 2H horizontal universal mill. Has vertical head with parking attachment. Has a newer 5 hp, single phase Leeson motor.

Everything works, XYZ rapid traverse, all gears, speeds, etc......Has been a hobby shop machine in my shop for a year and a half, and 30+ years before, as well. Coolant pump is out of machine, but I have it.

Horizontal arbor is NMTB 50 taper. Vertical head is NMTB 40 taper

Big vice and rotary base
Comes with 6 or 7 arbors (I forget)
about 60 cutters of different types and sizes
Both "A" and "B" arbor supports
a bunch of end mills and holders
40 NMTB facing mill (4") and holder for vertical head
and everything else I have to go with the mill

You won't be disappointed in this mill. It's in great mechanical and physical shape. I've got about $2000 invested in everything, so I've got to get
$1500.00 for it.

Located in Crystal Lake, Illinois in my shop, and you can put it through it's paces.

PM me or call me at (815)482-1410.

Jeff

18straightedge.jpg

Vhead2.jpg

Parking attachment
Vheadparkingattachment.jpg

Let me know if you need to see other pictures

Seems to be a good deal....but my time machine isn't working, so I will work with what already is in the shop.

If you can load the machine, that will be an inducement for someone 'on the fence'.

Good Luck,
Steve

My son and I put this machine on my trailer "Egyptian" style. I have a ramp that I built that will work for a trailer, and an 8000 lb. come-along. We can have it loaded on a trailer with a little bit of work in about 30 to 45 minutes.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Sad day indeed Jeff.....

But a great price for a very strong and versatile machine, especially with the vertical head and it's parking arm!

Compare it to the price of a decent Bridgeport with 1-1/2HP and tiny collet system, horizontal only with spindly attachments, while the K&T with 5HP and a great variety of powered feeds in all axes, including rapids, why would anyone........?
R8vsNMTB50.jpg

OK, the vertical head is only a 40NMTB but it too makes the R8 system look so anemic.... only 'cause it is...

Ever dream of cutting helical gears? Forget it or any other real spiral milling on the Bridgeport.

I bought a 26" face plate to mount on the spindle of my K&T, for $75, turns it into a powerful T-lathe with a 40" swing and with the universal table swing, taper cuts under power feed! Now the turret mill....never mind.

As for your loading method Jeff, that's exactly how I loaded my K&T 2H universal on the diamond plate bed of one of the "kneeling", hydraulic lift trailers. Quick and painless. I've strained myself worse, loading boxes of books.

Pulled it, (over 4,000 pounds with tooling, plus trailer) 60 miles, over a 4,100 foot high mountain pass, with a 1 ton Chevy, a non-event.

Not many of these well equipped beauties left..... great piles of light turret verticals abound...

Seriously, you can't get more capable versatility in in a single metal cutting machine in this price range. A great way to start in a small space....

Need to bend circles in steel, electrical tubing for large hand wheels, flat bar for wagon wheels... curved track for your ultra-modern trebuchet....:D

There's more but......

true believer Bob:)

The mill is sold pending payment to an OWWM and OMWM brother.

Thanks to all for the insight, and condolences.

Going for a long walk.........

Hey Jeff, can you tell me how exactly you mounted that face-plate? I'm looking to do the same thing for my 205SA. I haven't had the "ah, ha!" yet of how to do it right.

Thanks.

"I bought a 26" face plate to mount on the spindle of my K&T, for $75, turns it into a powerful T-lathe with a 40" swing and with the universal table swing, taper cuts under power feed! Now the turret mill....never mind."

Hey Jeff, can you tell me how exactly you mounted that face-plate? I'm looking to do the same thing for my 205SA. I haven't had the "ah, ha!" yet of how to do it right.

Thanks.

"I bought a 26" face plate to mount on the spindle of my K&T, for $75, turns it into a powerful T-lathe with a 40" swing and with the universal table swing, taper cuts under power feed! Now the turret mill....never mind."
Hi kurcules. It's Bob not Jeff, I'm the one with the 26" faceplate for my K&T.

Too often I forget, sorry, I haven't yet taken a photo with it mounted but I will next time I use it.

Here are a couple of pic's of it coming home, (all 300 pounds of it!) and the drawing I did for the mods.

Turning a NMTB50 taper with no flange, (the faceplate occupies that spot on the spindle), and while mounted in the spindle for concentricity, turning the nose to a plug that fits through to the front of the faceplate and is drilled and tapped, lets you turn any size of threaded dowel to screw into the plug, to locate a carefully pre-drilled part.

It holds the part centered while with your 5 hands;), you place the stand-offs* between the part and the faceplate, (they keep the cutter off of the faceplate), hold the notched hold-down spacer blocks against the faceplate and tighten the hold-downs.
*actually, I drilled and tapped 4, 1" lengths of hex bar 1/2"13 to tighten down to the T-slots on the faceplate and stood them on my surface grinder to get the lengths the same. Now it only takes 3 of my hands.:(

Yeah, the VTL guys are guffawing in superiority but my chips clean themselves and I have more floor space, so there!

Also, the projecting nose helps to guide the faceplate onto the K&T spindle. Mounting it with the engine hoist is easy, slip it over the plug and loosen the hoist, rotate 'til the lugs are engaged and it holds it'self 'til you can screw the 5/8-11 SHCS home.

Bob

Attachments

• 26%22 face plate for K&T 2H front.jpg
    26%22 face plate for K&T 2H front.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 26%22 face plate for K&T 2H back.jpg
    26%22 face plate for K&T 2H back.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 936
  • 26%22 face plate.jpg
    26%22 face plate.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:
Basically a shallow 5.0625 bore will get you nicely centered on the spindle flange of 50 taper spindle, and the four 5/8-11 bolts on 4" BC will get it fastened on.

Bob was smart and included keys, but my 13" job was just driven by the bolts on the one time I have used it.

J.O.

Basically a shallow 5.0625 bore will get you nicely centered on the spindle flange of 50 taper spindle, and the four 5/8-11 bolts on 4" BC will get it fastened on.

Bob was smart and included keys, but my 13" job was just driven by the bolts on the one time I have used it.

J.O.
Of course John is right about the depth of the counterbore. In my case, the existing faceplate 4.1690" bore was just enlarged to the K&T spindle collar diameter of 5.0625", it was already 0.875" deep, on which I only increased the diameter.
I could have reduced the depth of engagement by turning some of the hub off but I had an 1/8" of clearance with the 1" thick NMTB50 spindle flange. It's 300 pounds made me do it.:)

I was a little worried about the weight but reasoned that by having it so close to the spindles large front, tapered roller bearing, that the radial force of the weight of the faceplate and part, would be less than some of my heavy cuts imposed. So far so good and talk about solid!

I'm not mathematician enough to work out the low-order period of vibration on a short-snubbed, 300 pound-26" diameter cast iron flywheel but so far it hasn't raised it's ugly head...

And as far as Johns method goes, it was quick and easy, more a one time fixture than a universal faceplate. He proved that the lugs weren't necessary to git'r done.

I still haven't approached the 40" swing that the K&T will allow with the knee fully down, (actually, it's a little more than 20" from the bottomed out knee to the center of the spindle) but If I ever do, I'll be glad that the lug slots were milled. Lessee, a 4" mill cutter with a radius of 2", vs a lathe tool out at a 20" radius. Yup, a little more drive train torque on the latter....:) Yes, I'll make sure with math on surface speed, that I don't need a VFD before I attempt that 40" swing but the lowest spindle speed is only 35RPM.

Just for comparison, the common rail road car wheel diameter is 33", got 7" to spare when I need to turn a bunch of them.:D

I have a little project in mind, that I may never get to but part of it are the 2 side plates of a fabricated gear box, (might cast it) that need to have the shafts bearing pockets very accurately located* with tool makers buttons.... my largest 17-1/2" lathe swing is just a little shy....
*can't have those gear teeth missin' each other....:rolleyes5:

Bob

Sold

Just to be complete.......the mill is officially SOLD>

Payment arrived today, and thanks to all.......sure gonna miss this mill.

I just want to add here that approx. 2 years ago when I bought this mill, I didn't know squat from a whole in the ground about machining metal, and I still don't. But thanks to all you great guys for taking the time to answer my questions and deal with my baby steps and steep learning curve, I was able to make quite a few very good quality parts and repairs with this machine.

A heartfelt "thank you" to everyone. Pretty danged mucky for an ex hockey player, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna shed a tear or two when this mill leaves my shop in September.

Jeff

Hello Jeff, Sorry the way things worked out. After looking for a long time i found a 2H near Milwaukee thanks to wjr of this board It sure would be hard to part with it. Never in my wildest dreams did i think one would show up 10 mi down the road (from Woodstock). Best wishes, Earl

Hello Jeff, Sorry the way things worked out. After looking for a long time i found a 2H near Milwaukee thanks to wjr of this board It sure would be hard to part with it. Never in my wildest dreams did i think one would show up 10 mi down the road (from Woodstock). Best wishes, Earl

Wow! Talk about a blast from the past. Tripping into this from another thread's reference, I was literally just thinking about that mill. I _REALLY_ should have taken that mill myself. I did not have the room at the time ( think I told you that, back then ) but in retrospect I should have either MADE room or rented some. I really miss that mill and all that it is capable of. As I see that you are on-line right now, I hope you are still using that old girl well. You really got a smoking deal on her. :D Best Regards.
icon14.png

Old thread, indeed. Good news is, it has been replaced with an outstanding Model 2K, and in incredible shape, after a good cleaning and a few small repairs. I even picked up a high speed vertical head for it, and have had a lot of fun making parts. I'm still searching for a parking attachment for the v-head, but they are seemingly unobtainium.

003_01.JPG002_01.JPG004_01.JPGWayland, I wondered if that was you with the ZK name. Yes, thanks to you we got a great bargain. We don't use it a huge amount, but sure is nice to have when needed. Will put a note on it if ever decide to let it go to contact you. Made replacement coolant drain tubes for it. Made the gears for the lead box, haven't hobbed any as we don't have any hobbs yet. Thought you might like the photos. Hard to believe that it was that long ago. Regards, Earl

Back