What's new
What's new

K&T 2H vertical drive gearbox removal help

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
Anyone removed a gearbox from a 2H vertical? The starting lever (clutch lever) shaft is disengaged from the gearbox, and the retaining nut is removed from the clutch shifter rod. As far as I know, the box should slide out once those are disconnected. It slides freely for the first half inch, but beyond that I encounter resistance.

The punch-mark goonery on the pulley hub nut was not my doing, by the way.

Thanks for any help,
Andy
12683ae0cc7b4fb6898438d46f130fe7.jpg
b8739c955121c1bcd0459bf4fb508498.jpg
18c035ed824a5bfce2c7845c553d12b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put the handle back on and slowly turn it while wiggling the gearbox back and forth. It should pop right off. Is there a painted over set screw in the top of it? If there is, thats the handling hole. You’ll want a cherry picker holding it up because it’s heavy and needs to come out fairly square.

Hopefully the vertical is the same but that’s how how I removed the gearbox on a 3CH and a 2HL horizontal.

Right after posting, I remembered the vent cover on the other side of the column. Turns out one of the shift fork guide rods came loose and migrated enough to hang up against the inside of the column casting. Wishing K&T had made the vent hole about 4x bigger, but at least I have some access.

Thanks for the reply! No lifting hole in this one, but I don't think I have to pull it all the way out anyway. All this started when I removed the outer shift lever to re-align the speed plate (which, for some reason, is missing all the drive screws that hold it in place). That was fine, but then I inadvertently pulled the inner shift lever out and that allowed the secondary speed shift dog to drop out of engagement with it's gear. For future 2H users, probably best to avoid removing the speed shifters unless you plan on gearbox removal.

Andy

f6258822ea0c869a51d228f4cbf89d9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back