What's new
What's new

K&T 2HL, should I add an oil passage?

walterhw

Plastic
I'm rebuilding (mostly cleaning & painting) a horizontal mill, SN 10-3676. I've cleaned and painted the main casting for the saddle and now I'm about to re-assemble it. But before I do, I'd like some advise on whether or not to add an oil passage that seems like it should be there but isn't.

01_before.jpg Image 01_before.jpg shows what the internals of the saddle looked like before cleaning.
02_after.jpg Image 02_after.jpg shows the plain saddle after cleaning and some painting.
03_oil passage 1.jpg Image 03_oil passage 1.jpg shows the oil passage in question with a long 5/16in drill inserted into the oil passage for reference. The oil passage is blind drilled into the saddle from the rear and intersects with a passage from the left copper tube in the oil reservoir. It contained two sets of pipe cleaners, one set of 4 from the oil reservoir and one set of 2 from the front to the rear of the oil passage. The rear opening was sealed with an interference fit 3/8in plug that I drilled, tapped 1/4-20, and removed with a slide hammer.
04_oil passage 2, rear.jpg Image 04_oil passage 2, rear.jpg shows a rear view of the oil passage with drill sticking out.
05_oil passage 3, L side.jpg Image 05_oil passage 3, L side.jpg shows a left side view of the socket in the saddle casting that receives the table screw nut. The drill is placed over the internal oil passage to about the depth of the oil passage.

I've reached a 5 pic limit on this post. I'll try to continue in more detail by replying to this thread. My question is whether or not to add an oil passage so that the table screw nut receives oil from the oil passage in question.

Walter

Continuing. Hopefully this post will appear before anyone else replies asking for more info.

06_table screw nut.jpg Image 06_table screw nut.jpg shows the table screw nut lined up with the threaded socket in the plain saddle (main saddle casting). In the nut, you can see one of 3 ea. 1/16in radially drilled holes. These holes are equally spaced around the perimeter and terminate in the internal Acme threads. There is a slight relief on the OD between the flange and the start of the external threads on the nut. This relief volume was filled with congealed oil when I removed the nut for cleaning.
07_table screw nut socket.jpg Image 07_table screw nut socket.jpg shows a close up of the threaded socket in the plain saddle that receives the table screw nut. The oil passages shown in the previous pics lies just below about 1/4in past the start of the threaded portion. I was expecting to find a drilled passage to allow oil travel from the passage up to the relief volume in the nut so that oil could pass through the 1/16in drilled holes and lubricate the table screw in the table screw nut. But I could find no such passage.

So, should I drill an oil passage before completing assembly? Has anyone disassembled a K&T mill and noted the presence or absence of an oil passage to the table screw nut threads?

I'm thinking that if I do drill an oil passage hole, worst case it won't have any effect, but it might be beneficial. If I do find a downside, I could always go back in an plug it.

All suggestions and speculations are welcome.

Walter

Back