What's new
What's new

K&T 2HL Thread Milling

Oliver46

Aluminum
Thinking about trying out thread milling, I have the low lead attachment & universal mill - but no idea where to start. Was there a book that went with the lead box, must have been but where do I get one??
Thank you in advance for replies!!
Rod
PS: Also looking for a drawing of the spline shaft to drive the Low lead when you're not driving it with the table.

Thinking about trying out thread milling, I have the low lead attachment & universal mill - but no idea where to start. Was there a book that went with the lead box, must have been but where do I get one??
Thank you in advance for replies!!
Rod
PS: Also looking for a drawing of the spline shaft to drive the Low lead when you're not driving it with the table.

Here is the book of leads for model H dividing head: Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - Model H Universal Spiral Dividing Head - Tables of Leads and Indexing Divis | VintageMachinery.org

This book deals with the splined shafts though I don't know about drawings...: Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - Workholding Attachments and Accessories - Catalog | VintageMachinery.org

Here is some thread milling thanks to Ed Call: THREAD MILLING KEARNEY TRECKER 2H PART 1 - YouTube

Where I said splined shaft, it seems the right term is "aux drive shaft"and I'm thinking I've seen a drawing somewhere when I was looking to buy one. Thanks for the links Ramsay1

You look in tables of low leads and find out if the lead you want is there

Say you wanted to cut 20 TPI

Take the reciprocal of 20 and get .050 - which happens to be in table three of the Low leads

Some are only close - like .0252 if you are trying to do 40 TPI

Of course you have to have all the gears that appear on the tables of leads:D

John, I have most all the change gears, and have collected a few blanks with the correct spline to match so I can cut the teeth to complete the set. However, I only have the 8 x 24 worm & worm wheel set, would love to find the other two sets at a fair price. I'm thinking that toothy smiley face you put at the end has to do with finding those gears. I've had this machine over 20 years, never tryed too hard but have been looking all that time~

Give me a day or two and I’ll get pictures and dimensions of my 2CHL aux. shaft for ya. Depending how long the table is on the 2HL, the spline length might be a little shorter. If you need one, I have a pile of 6 spline hobs sitting in a box collecting dust. You’ll also need to make the spline shaft and female coupler to connect your DH.

I’d never say it’s impossible for you to find your missing 1:96 & 1:24 worm/wheel but you’ll probably get struck by lightning before it happens. :willy_nilly:
The most important part is, you already have the hardest to make gear set.:D

Ramsay1 and a few other members sent me the dimensions of the other gears. I’ll get that info together and post it up soon. If you have some free time, could post the critical dimensions of the 1:3 worm/wheel, including the center to center distance of the worm/wheel inside your LL? I’m also in the club of missing gears. I have the LL but I’m missing all the gears. It’s been a project I’ve been waiting to wrap up for a few years but life has gotten in the way.

Give me a day or two and I’ll get pictures and dimensions of my 2CHL aux. shaft for ya. Depending how long the table is on the 2HL, the spline length might be a little shorter. If you need one, I have a pile of 6 spline hobs sitting in a box collecting dust. You’ll also need to make the spline shaft and female coupler to connect your DH.

Hobby Shop: thanks for the offer of the drawings, my concern is getting the gearbox end right. I'd also be interested in drawings of the 96 to 1 and 24 to 1 worm & worm wheels, I have enough bronze to make the wheels, just not sure when I'll ever do it, or if I can but it would be a fun project to work on!! I have everything to hook the lead attach to the DH and 5 DH plates.

John, I have most all the change gears, and have collected a few blanks with the correct spline to match so I can cut the teeth to complete the set. However, I only have the 8 x 24 worm & worm wheel set, would love to find the other two sets at a fair price. I'm thinking that toothy smiley face you put at the end has to do with finding those gears. I've had this machine over 20 years, never tryed too hard but have been looking all that time~

I was lucky when I bought the low lead attachment for my 2hl universal many years ago... Every gear was in the box that the unit came in... The only thing missing was one trip shaft that I made and never use... Three sets of worms, worm wheels and a stack of splined spur gears.. I checked the manual, every gear is there.. I of course had to pay 800 dollars for everything and paid 400 for the mill at a gov't auction..You are most welcome and I am glad I could be of assistance... Cheers from Louisiana.. Ramsay 1:)

Back